The University of Helsinki is among the leading multidisciplinary research universities in the world. In addition to its 11 faculties, the University includes several independent institutes, some of which are jointly operated with other universities. Some 35,000 students are currently pursuing an undergraduate or a postgraduate degree at the University of Helsinki.
The Department of Physics is a large and multidisciplinary department that is part of the Faculty of Science. The main research areas of the department are materials physics, particle physics and astrophysics. The department hosts a Center of Excellence of the Academy of Finland and several ERC-funded projects. For more information, see http://physics.helsinki.fi/ .
The accelerator laboratory hosts major infrastructure that consists of a 5 MV tandem accelerator, a 500 kV accelerator/ion implanter, two positron accelerators, and various processing and characterization facilities.
Faculty of Science invites applications for the position of
LABORATORY ENGINEER / SENIOR ENGINEER
at the Department of Physics and its Accelerator Laboratory
from 1 September 2020 onward or as agreed.
Duties of the senior engineer / laboratory engineer include:
- Maintenance and development of the experimental infrastructure
- Design, construction, procurement and commissioning of new equipment
- Overall responsibility for the operation of the accelerators and vacuum systems
- Responsibility for radiation safety
- Supervision of the technical personnel of the Accelerator laboratory
- Supervision of the activities of the mechanical workshop
- Responsibility for the training of accelerator users
To be successful in the position, the candidate is required to have a background in the physics and technology of ion accelerators, in particular ion optics and vacuum systems. Strong experience in instrumentation (radiation detection, electronics, computer control) is also expected. The candidate should hold a PhD in physics or another relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
Applications must have the following enclosures as a joint pdf document (in English):
1. Motivation letter
2. Full CV and any relevant documents on competence and merits that the applicant wishes to be taken into account in the selection process.
Please submit your application using the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for job. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal.
The deadline for applications is 7 June, 2020.
Further information can be obtained from Professor Filip Tuomisto, filip.tuomisto(at)helsinki.fi.
07.06.2020 23:59 EEST