The University of Helsinki is among the leading multidisciplinary research universities in the world. In addition to its 11 faculties, the University includes several independent institutes, some of which are jointly operated with other universities. The University of Helsinki has an international academic community of 40,000 students and staff members, and it offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and health insurance, sports facilities, and opportunities for professional development.
The internationally competitive research of the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-agriculture-and-forestry/research) provides science-based perspectives and methods for responding to future challenges in agriculture, food production and forestry in Finland as well as globally.
The Department of Agricultural Sciences invites applications for
with an interest in performing research in the area of
autonomous agricultural vehicles. The employment is scheduled to commence in January 2020 and will last three years. The work will be conducted in the Agrotechnology research group (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/agrotechnology). The purpose of the doctoral research is to design and build an agricultural robot for automated measurement of soil and crop conditions. The robot will be able to independently make measurements under different conditions in the field, according to predefined instructions. The robot should be able to identify different terrains, measure soil properties, and recognize arable crops. Measurements are made by various methods and their suitability and effectiveness are evaluated.
Depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience, the salary is 2200–3000 euros/month. A trial period of 6 months will be applied.
• Applicant should have a strong academic record with a background in electrical and mechanical engineering, computation, sensor processing (e.g. computer vision), and machine learning.
• Good programming skills are expected, for example, MATLAB, ROS and Python.
• Applicant is expected to be able to act independently as well as to collaborate effectively with members of a larger team.
• Eligibility for doctoral studies. Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
Applications for the position should include:
1) A cover letter (max 1 page) potentially including a brief description of previous research experience, outline of research skills, and a description how these skills support the project focus areas.
2) A CV including possible list of publications, as well as full contact information for at least two references (max 2 pages).
3) A copy of M.Sc. diploma (or equivalent) and a transcript of completed credits.
Please compile all documents into a single PDF file in the above-specified order. Please submit your application using the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for job. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal.
The deadline for submitting the application is 20 October, 2019.
For more information, please contact Assistant Professor Antti Lajunen by email: antti.lajunen(at)helsinki.fi.
In case you need technical support with the recruitment system, please contact recruitment(at)helsinki.fi.
20.10.2019 23:59 EEST