The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world.
HOH Helsinki One Health is a network organization, led by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and cooperated by four other faculties at the University of Helsinki, to co-ordinate research actions within the area of One Health. One Health is a globally emerging concept recognizing that the health of humans and animals is interconnected and that their populations share the essentials of life: the genome, disease causing organisms, health, welfare, and the environment. HOH Helsinki One Health involves different disciplines and professions to work together to resolve emerging health problems concerning human and animal populations worldwide. In addition to other profiling actions, HOH Helsinki One Health will host several tenure track professorships with their established research environments in years 2018-2022. Please see: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/one-health.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine invites applications for the position of an
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR IN ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH (Ympäristöterveys)
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-veterinary-medicine) is the only institution of higher education in Finland to educate veterinarians. The Faculty has four departments and a Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The professorship will be in the Department of Food Hygiene and Environmental Health, which accommodates a state-of-the-art wet-laboratory infrastructure and nine active research groups working in the fields of food safety and quality, environmental health, meat inspection and slaughterhouse hygiene, food and environmental toxicology, and environmental health and food safety control.
The field encompasses all aspects of environmental health with close connection to food safety, water quality and veterinary public health. In the context of One Health, the field includes identification, assessment and control of physical, chemical, zoonotic and other biological risks in the environment that affect human and animal health.
The research, expertise, and teaching field of the professorship is Environmental Health. The professorship is based in the One Health Research Programme hosted by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF THE QUALIFICATIONS
The applicant may be appointed to a permanent full professorship or a fixed-term assistant/ associate professorship (tenure track), depending on his or her qualifications and career stage. For more information on the tenure track model, career path and general assessment criteria for different stages at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university/tenure-t....
An appointee to the position of an assistant/associate professor in the tenure track system shall hold a doctoral degree, have the ability to conduct independent scientific research work, have the teaching skills necessary for the position, and have the ability and motivation for an academic career.
An appointee to a full professorship shall hold a doctoral degree and have top-level scholarly qualifications, experience in the supervision of scientific research, as well as the ability to provide top-level research-based teaching and to supervise theses and dissertations. In addition, the appointee shall present documentation of international cooperation in the field of research that he or she represents. Holders of professorships shall also have the skills necessary for serving as an academic leader.
When considering applicants’ qualifications, attention will be paid to:
• knowledge of environmental health care, as well as legislation relevant to environmental health care services
• knowledge of environmental health and food safety
• applicant’s expertise and experience in the research and teaching field
• scientific publications in the field of the position
• success in obtaining external research funding
• experience in research project management
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, as well as other teaching merits
• international research experience/collaboration and positions of trust
• vision for development of the applicant’s own research work and the research field in general
To successfully manage the responsibilities of the position, the appointee must have excellent English skills. If the appointee is not proficient in Finnish or Swedish, he/she is expected to acquire moderate proficiency within a reasonable time after the appointment. Support for language studies will be offered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Monthly gross salary will be about 4 300–5 400 euros for assistant/associate professor and about 5 400–6 800 euros for professor depending on the applicant’s merits and career stage.
• The position is associated with a negotiable start-up package.
• Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and why the University of Helsinki is an excellent career choice: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university.
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Application must include an academic portfolio (in English), which includes information on applicant’s CV, scientific activity including acquired research funding, and report on the experience and merits related to the assessment of teaching skills. Please include (in your academic portfolio or its enclosures) also a plan for developing research and teaching in the field of professorship (maximum of 2 pages) and a full and numbered publication list. For more information, please see and take into account in your academic portfolio:
Please submit your application, together with the required attachments as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position (Hae työpaikkaa). Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal. Only the mandatory fields (*) of the recruitment system including the Academic Merits questionnaire and where you found about this job opportunity may be filled in. The closing date for applications is 3 February, 2020.
Applicants are kindly asked to prepare for the situation in which, after the closing of the application period, the faculty may request them to submit up to 5-10 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors.
• About the position and the operational environment: HOH Director, Professor Olli Peltoniemi, olli.peltoniemi(at)helsinki.fi, p. +358405381621 or Head of Department, Docent Elina Säde, elina.sade(at)helsinki.fi
• About the recruitment system, process and documents: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, p. +358504155341. Technical support with the recruitment system optionally also: recruitment(at)helsinki.fi.
03.02.2020 23:59 EET