The main activities at VERIFIN consist of research, teaching, administration and collaboration with domestic and international organisations which work to prohibit and monitor the use of chemical weapons.
More specifically, the tasks of VERIFIN include:
- Research and post-graduate teaching
- Development of analytical methods for Chemical Warfare Agents (CWA), their starting materials and degradation products
- Acting as the National Authority of Finland for the Chemical Weapons Convention
- Tasks defined by the Ministry for the Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Assistance to the Organisation for the Prohibition of the Chemical Weapons, OPCW, and the United Nations
- Training for chemists from developing countries based on research and experience on the Chemical Weapons convention (CWC)