Register as an attending or non-attending student (version Z)

This page is meant for you if

  • you were granted the right to pursue a Master's degree in English
  • the right was granted in 2018, and
  • you are liable to pay the tuition fee

and you belong to one of the following groups:

  • you did not apply for a scholarship from the Be 1* of the Scholarship Programme
  • you were not awarded a scholarship from the Be 1* of the Scholarship Programme
  • your scholarship from the Be 1* of the Scholarship Programme does not cover the tuition fee; for example you were granted a Study Grant and you have chosen to have the Study Grant paid once you have arrived in Finland.

Every student pursuing a Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree at the University of Helsinki must register as an attending or non-attending student for each academic year.

You can register for your first academic year after you have accepted the study place. 

Information on the tuition fee, payment procedure and due date is included in the material which is sent to all admitted applicants.

New students have to register as an attending or non-attending student by the 31st of August 2018.

If you were accepted conditionally, you will be registered as an attending or non-attending student only after you have fulfilled the conditions required for acceptance.

Registering as an attending student

For your first academic year you automatically register as an attending student by paying your tuition fee.

Paying the tuition fee:

  • The payment link / invoice (in pdf) and the instructions will be sent to your email address after you have received the acceptance letter
  • Please note that the tuition fee must be paid as a single instalment for the following academic year
  • Admissions Services will send you an email after receiving your tuition fee. Please be patient as the transfer might take a while.

The tuition fee already includes Helsinki University Student Union's (HYY) membership fee.

If you are liable to pay a tuition fee and you don't pay it, you will lose the right to study on account of failure to register. To be readmitted, you must pay the tuition fee and the re-enrolment fee.

Re­gis­ter­ing as a non-at­tend­ing stu­dent during the first academic year

Section 39 of the Universities Act stipulates that new students must register for attendance during the academic year following their admission. They can register as non-attending only in situations specified in the Act. These provisions will also apply to students liable to pay a tuition fee.

Students can register as non-attending during their first academic year only if they

1) are completing Finnish military service, non-military service, or voluntary military service for women;

2) are on maternity, paternity or parental leave; or

3) are unable to begin their studies owing to a medical condition.

If the reason for registering for non-attendance is the student’s inability to begin his or her studies owing to a medical condition, the student must present a doctor’s certificate of the condition, indicating the diagnosis and stating that it prevents the student from beginning his or her studies. The authenticity of the doctor’s certificate may be verified. The existence and gravity of the grounds for registering as a non-attending student will always be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

If a student is deemed to have a valid reason to register for non-attendance under the Universities Act, his or her liability to pay a tuition fee will be postponed to the beginning of the following academic year.

Doc­u­ments that prove the legal grounds for your ab­sence

1) service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995):

  • Call-up order

2) maternity, paternity or parental leave:

  • The Social Insurance Institution of Finland's certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy
  • Corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave

3) the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury:

  • Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning their studies on August.
  • Obstacles caused by the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury: an adequate clarification, e.g. a certificate from the student housing foundation that the student is on the waiting list for an apartment required by his or her injury. The student's own notification is not an adequate clarification.

The documents must be submitted in Finnish, Swedish or English.

If you have legal grounds for your absence and you wish to register as non-attending, please contact the Admissions Services: (by the 31st of August 2018)

Re­gis­ter­ing in the fol­low­ing aca­demic years

You must register as an attending or non-attending student every academic year. The registration period is from the beginning of May to the end of August each year.

You must pay your tuition fee for the second year of study before you can register as attending. If you are delayed in your studies and must study for a third academic year so as to graduate, the fee for the additional time must also be paid before registering.