Trace Gas Analysis group -- Dr. Markus Metsälä
Welcome to the Trace Gas Analysis group! We are interested in applying sensitive trace gas analysis techniques to applications such as exhaled breath analysis and headspace analysis of bacteria in vitro.
We employ techniques based on both mass spectrometry (PTR-MS, GS-MS) and optical spectroscopy (cavity enhanced and photoacoustic). Recently, we have developed a novel hyphenated technique that combines sensitive optical spectroscopy with chromatographic separation.
In addition to various spectroscopic instruments and setups, our lab includes a state-of-the-art proton transfer reaction time-of-flight mass spectrometer (Ionicon PTR-TOF-MS 1000).
Some of our publications from recent years include:
- K. Roslund, M. Lehto, P. Pussinen and M. Metsälä ”Volatile Composition of the Morning Breath”, J. Breath Res 16 (2022) 046010 link
- K. Roslund, M. Lehto, K. Hartonen, P. Pussinen, P-H. Groop, L. Halonen and M. Metsälä ”Identifying volatile in vitro biomarkers for oral bacteria with proton-transfer-reaction mass spectrometry and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.”, Sci. Rep. 11 (2021) 16897 link
- T. Tomberg, N. Vuorio, T. Hieta, M. Jussila, K. Hartonen, M. Vainio, T. Mikkonen, J. Toivonen, M.-L. Riekkola, L. Halonen and M. Metsälä, "Broadband Laser-Based Infrared Detector for Gas Chromatography". Anal. Chem. 92, 14582-14588 (2020). link
- K. Roslund, M. Lehto, P. Pussinen, P.-H. Groop, L. Halonen and M. Metsälä, "On-line profiling of volatile compounds produced in vitro by pathogenic oral bacteria". J. Breath Res. 14, 016010 (2020). link
- B. Henderson, A. Khodabakhsh, M. Metsälä, I. Ventrillard, F. M Schmidt, D. Romanini, G.A.D. Ritchie, S. te Lintel Hekkert, R. Briot, T. Risby, N. Marczin, F.J.M. Harren and S.M. Cristescu, "Laser spectroscopy for breath analysis: towards clinical implementation". Applied Physics B 124, 1-21 (2018). link
A complete list of Dr. Metsälä's publications can be found here.