Juha got his Ph.D in 1993 under the supervision of Prof. Kari Alitalo (University of Helsinki). In his thesis work Juha identified and characterized novel growth factor receptors, including additional members of the fibroblast growth factor receptor (Fgfr) family and Tie1, an important regulator of blood vessel growth.
Juha spent years 1994-1998 as a post-doctoral fellow in the laboratory of Prof. Janet Rossant (Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Toronto). During this time he used gene modified mice to study the functions of growth factor signaling in the development of embryonic vasculature and embryonic patterning.
In 1998, Juha established his own research group at the University of Helsinki. The main interest of the lab is in the intercellular signals and gene regulatory molecules driving differentiation of specific neuron types in the midbrain and anterior hindbrain.
I am interested in various aspects of developmental biology. For my PhD I studied the development of sensory epithelial cells of the inner ear. From peripheral nervous system I moved towards CNS when joined in Partanen lab 2015. I currently study the development of the heterogeneous subgroups of midbrain GABA-neurons, especially the ones contributing to the regulation of sleep.
I am a molecular biotechnologist and I did my PhD in UMC Utrecht (the Netherlands) in the field of neuronal development and axon guidance. I joined the Partanen lab in 2015 to study diversity of midbrain/hindbrain GABAergic neurons involved in the regulation of movement and motivated behavior.
I defended my master’s degree in University of Tartu, where I studied the development of lens and retina. I continued my studies as PhD student in University of Helsinki, where I started analysing the development and diversity of serotonergic neurons in dorsal raphe in GATA2 and GATA3 conditional mutant mice. Now I study the role GATA cofactors in the development of GABAergic and serotonergic neurons.
I got my Ph.D. in plant genetics in 2017. I have established and am responsible for the single cell mRNA sequencing technology (inDrop) in the Partanen lab. Currently, I run HiLife single cell sequencing operations on the Viikki campus.
I'm Laboratory coordinator working at the Molecular and Integrative Biosciences Research Programme and in the Partanen lab.
- 2012 Jonna Saarimäki: Fibroblast growth factor signaling in the development of the midbrain and anterior hindbrain (E-thesis)
- 2012 Paula Peltopuro: Transcriptional regulation of GABAergic neuron differentiation in the developing diencephalon, midbrain and anterior hindbrain (E-Thesis)
- 2012 Laura Lahti : FGF signaling in neurogenesis and patterning of the developing midbrain and anterior hindbrain (E-thesis)
- 2010 Kaia Achim: Regulation of GABAergic neuron identity and diversityin the developing midbrain (E-thesis)
- 2007 Tomi Jukkola: Fgfr1 regulated gene-expression, cell proliferation and differentiation in the developing midbrain and hindbrain (E-thesis)
- 2005 Nina Trokovic: Fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 in craniofacial and midbrain-hindbrain development (E-thesis)
- 2005 Ras Trokovic: Fibroblast growth factor 1 signaling in the early development of the midbrain-hindbrain and pharyngeal region (E-thesis)