Food, health and wellbeing
Research in this area focuses on the practices and meanings of food consumption, eating and health care as well as phenomena relating to food and health policy. The aims are to understand consumer practices and conceptions relating to food and health, examine areas of social life from the perspective of consumers and consumption, and assess the impact of social changes on the status and practices of consumers.
The approaches are based on the sociology of consumption and health, science and technology studies, and health management science. Both qualitative and quantitative methods are used. The research material includes historical and contemporary documents and texts, interviews and group discussions, as well as surveys and statistical data. Recent research in the area has concentrated on expert and lay discourses on food and health topics, methods of steering pertaining to food and health as well as related controversies, the practices and meanings of weight management, sustainable and political food consumption in Finland and the other Nordic countries, and food price structures.
Current research projects are investigating practices and pioneers of sustainable eating (POPRASUS project), exploring the structures of food consumption and related changes (RUOMU project), and developing new methods of analysing social media by focusing on food- and eating-related phenomena (SSMA project).
Piia Jallinoja, Mikko Jauho, Mari Niva, Essi Pöyry, Minna Kaarakainen, Nina Kahma
- Politics, practices and the transformative potential of sustainable diets (POPRASUS, funded by the Academy of Finland, begins September 2016), in collaboration with the University of Tampere and Finnish Environment Institute
- PI: Piia Jallinoja, researchers: Mikko Jauho, Mari Niva
- Changing structures and competition issues in the Finnish food markets (Ruomu, 2016-2019)
- PI: Mari Niva, researchers: Kristiina Aalto
- Smarter Social Media Analytics (funded by Tekes, 2016-2018)
- PI: Piia Jallinoja, researchers (at Faculty of Social Sciences): Mikko Jauho, Salla Laaksonen, Essi Pöyry, Mika Pantzar
- Fat in food, fat in bodies (FAT, funded by the Academy of Finland, 2012 – 2015), in collaboration with the Unversity of Jyväskylä and National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL)
- Beans in Finnish dinner table (2012 – 2014, Maa- ja metsätalousministeriön rahoittama), yhteistyössä Luonnonvarakeskuksen (Luke) kanssa, seepublications
- Ruokamarkkinoiden toimivuus ja elintarvikkeiden hinnanmuodostus Suomessa (2013 – 2016, Makeran rahoittama), yhteistyössä Luonnonvarakeskuksen (Luke) ja Pellervon taloustutkimuksen (PTT) kanssa
- Food in Nordic Everyday Life: A comparative survey of change and stability in eating patterns (2011 – 2015, funded by NOS-HS), in collaboration with the Unversities of Copenhagen and Gothenburg and SIFO (National Institute for Consumer Research, Oslo)
Selected recent publications
- Holm L, Bøker Lund T, Niva M (2015) Eating practices and diet quality: a population study of four Nordic countries. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 69 (7): 791-8
- Jallinoja, P, Jauho, M, Mäkelä, J (in press) Newspaper debates on milk fats and vegetable oils in Finland, 1978 – 2013: An analysis of conflicts over risks, expertise, evidence and pleasure. Appetite. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2016.05.035
- Jallinoja P, Niva M, Latvala T (2016) Towards more sustainable eating? Practices, competence, meanings and materialities of bean eating in a meat-eating culture. Futures, doi:10.1016/j.futures.2016.03.006.
- Jallinoja P, Kahma N, Helakorpi S, Niva M, Jauho M (2015) Dietary fat choices in Finland, long-term trends and short-term changes, 1978–2014. Research on Finnish Society, 8, 73-77.
- Jallinoja P, Niva M, Helakorpi S, Kahma N (2014) Food choices, perceptions of healthiness and eating motives of self-identified followers of low-carbohydrate diet. Food and Nutrition Research, 58, 1-9.
- Jauho M, Mäkelä J, Niva Mari (2016) Weight management, a compound practice of healthy eating and slimming? Sociological Research Online 21 (2) 5.
- Mäkelä J, Niva M (2016) Citizens and sustainable culinary cultures. In:Climate Change Adaptation and Food Supply Chain Management, 172–182, ed. by Ari Paloviita and Marja Järvelä. Routledge.
- Niva M, Jauho M (2015) Functional foods. In: Albala, Ken (ed.) The SAGE Encyclopedia of Food Issues. SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Niva M (2015) Online weight-loss services and a calculative practice of slimming. Health: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine. Published online before print December 28.
- Peltoniemi A, Arovuori K, Niemi J, Pyykkönen P (2015) Maitosektorin hintarakenteet. Helsinki: Kuluttajatutkimuskeskus, 2015. Kuluttajatutkimuskeskus 2015:1. Politiikan ja talouden tutkimuksen laitoksen julkaisuja
- Peltoniemi A, Arovuori K, Niemi J Pyykkönen P (2014). Lihasektorin hintarakenteet. Kuluttajatutkimuskeskuksen tutkimuksia ja selvityksiä 8.
- Peltoniemi A, Arovuori K, Karikallio H, Niemi J, Pyykkönen, P (2014) Viljasektorin hintarakenteet. PTT Työpapereita 166.