The mission of the University of Helsinki Ethical Review Board in the Humanities and Social and Behavioural Sciences is to ensure the ethical review of research conducted in the human, non-medical sciences at the University of Helsinki and, through statements and actions, steer the ethical development of research in the human sciences by, for example, monitoring and coordinating training in research ethics. The Ethical Review Board also provides consultation in matters related to research ethics and offers advice for solving research ethics problems. The Ethical Review Board abides by the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity for the ethical principles of research in the humanities, the social and behavioural sciences, and proposals for ethical review in these fields.
Members of the Board during the term 2018 – 2021
Professor Erika Löfström
Aura Kivilaakso, PhD, Senior Advisor, Research Services
Members (deputy member in parenthesis)
- Postdoctoral Researcher Heli Korkka-Knuts (Professor Kimmo Nuotio)
- Professor Salla Kurhila (Professor Jan Lindström)
- Postdoctoral researcher Marius Lahti-Pulkkinen (Adjunct professor Jussi Saarinen)
- Postdoctoral researcher Karoliina Snell (Associate Professor Hisayo Katsui)
- University lecturer Riitta Freese (Postdoctoral researcher Suvi Itkonen)
- Professor Auli Vähäkangas (University lecturer Maija Penttilä)
- Doctoral candidate Oona Myllyntaus (Doctoral candidate Ilja Kokkonen)
- Data protection advisor
The Ethical Review Board meetings scheduled for 2019-2020 are as follows:
Summer break in July.
- August 19, 2020
- September 22, 2020
- October 20, 2020
- Novermber 12, 2020
- December 14, 2020
Requests for statements that applicants wish to submit for processing in the Ethical Review Board meetings must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The documents must be sent as one PDF document no later than two weeks before the meeting in question (the same weekday at 00:00) by using an e-form: https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/94449/lomake.html. Late applications will be dealt with at a next meeting. If the Ethical Review Board finds that the research meets the ethical requirements set for research in the human sciences, its statement will be emailed to the applicant within two weeks of the meeting where the request was discussed.
Please note before applying:
- The request for a statement must be part of the research activities of the University of Helsinki. The Principal Investigator of the study must be employed by the University of Helsinki. Project funding/grant at the UH or a visiting researcher's contract with the UH for the duration of the project is also considered as sufficient affiliation.
- Statements must be requested prior to data collection.
- Please read the instructions carefully before submitting a request and include all required documents.
- In case your study does not meet any of the criteria defined by the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity but you are applying for an ethical statement because publications require it, we would kindly ask you make sure whether a description of the Finnish system would be sufficient for the publication. The description can be obtained from the secretary of the ethical board on request.
- In case your study does not meet the criteria of the ethical review but you are applying for a statement, we recommend you would contact the secretary of the ethical board before applying.
- Doctoral candidates should first discuss the need for an ethical review with their supervisors. If a review process is necessary, the application should be filed together with the supervisor.
Instructions for researchers
Researchers are requested to study the Ethical principles of research in the humanities and social and behavioural sciences issued by the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity.
- Instructions for drafting a request for ethical review (pdf)
- Grounds for requesting a statement (pdf)
- Best practices for designing forms (pdf)
- When are ethical reviews required? (pdf)
- Check list: research conducted in cooperation with companies (pdf)
- Privacy notice for scientific research (see: useful links and materials - privacy notice)
- Data Protection for researchers (including Data protection impact assessment)