The University of Helsinki offers housing for staff members arriving from abroad via a service called Unihome. Unihome manages all University of Helsinki’s accommodation services as well as the rental flats owned by the University.

Entry housing

While queuing for a long-term rental flat, you can stay at Unihome accommodation locations with easy access to all Campuses. You can stay up to 6 months. The reservation should be made by the host department. The price varies according to the size of the accommodation and the length of stay.

Please check the options at www.unihome.fi.

Rental flats

The University of Helsinki also rents unfurnished apartments to its incoming staff. Through Unihome you can apply for a rental flat mainly in three locations:

  • UH Pihlajamäki,: 128 furnished studio flats 23-28m2, 450-600 euro per month
  • Viikin Mansio :65  unfurnished flats, studio flats to 2  bed room flats, 46-88m2, 600-1200 euro per month
  • Mannerheimintie: :45 unfurnished flats, studio flats to 3 bed room flats, 20-107 m2, 450-1400 euro per month

The flats are rented with a fixed period 12 months and with the option to continue for another 12 months if available.

Contact information

There are several options available on the private rental market in Helsinki and the capital area. The rental market in the capital region is rather competitive and finding suitable housing may require some effort. It is not recommended to rent out anything without first seeing the apartment in person.

Rental apartments within the private market are almost always unfurnished, and in order to rent an apartment a deposit (equivalent to 1-3 months of rent) is usually required. Deposit is given back to you when you leave the apartment, providing that you have paid all the rents and kept the apartment in good condition.

University of Helsinki International Staff Services can provide advice on finding an apartment on the private rental market in Finland. Private house finding services are also available at an additional cost.

Search for private rental flats at following websites:

Home Insurance

It is widely required in Finland to have a home insurance and liability insurance. Once you have an apartment here, it is worthwhile taking out a home insurance policy (kotivakuutus) and it is usually required by the landlords. Home insurance covers, for example, damage to your furniture and other articles. Usually liability insurance is included in the home insurance. Home insurance policies are sold by local insurance companies.

On the HSL transport website you will find a timetable search, maps, a journey planner, tickets and fares information and a passenger guide. Especially the Journey Planner is a good help when you are planning your travels in the Helsinki Region! Local train timetables, route maps, tickets and fares as well as other information about commuter traffic can be found on the VR passenger service website.