Employed, grant-funded or self-funded? At the University of Helsinki, a doctoral degree may be completed through either full- or part-time study. Doctoral students may receive funding from the University of Helsinki or one of its departments, institutes or faculties, a research project, foundation, association or some other external funder. They may also fund their own studies or pursue their degree in tandem with work. About a third of all doctoral students are in an employment relationship with the University and are thus members of University staff.

There are a few salaried doctoral student positions funded by the University of Helsinki available every year. The next round of applications will be in September 2018. 

HYMY Doctoral School travel grants

HYMY Doctoral School's next travel grant application round for domestic travel for doctoral students takes place 19th March - 6th April 2018. More information and the application form can be found here.

Instructions for the payment of granted travel grants can be found here.