The doctoral education system of the University of Helsinki consists of four doctoral schools and 32 doctoral programmes. New doctoral candidates apply for doctoral programme membership at the same time as they apply for the postgraduate study right at the doctoral programme.
Next call open: 3.-16.4.2018
Decision to applicants: 15.6.2018
Acceptance of the position in DPDR: 29.6.2018
Right to pursue doctoral degree begins: 2.7.2018
Admission criteria in the Doctoral Programme in Drug Research (DPDR):
- Scientific relevance and ambition of the research plan, use of relevant methodology
- Motivation and CV of the applicant, success in previous studies
- Thematic fit of the research plan with the doctoral programme profile
- Funding plan and feasibility of the thesis project within the intended timeframe (net time 4 years)
- Demonstration of adequate knowledge in relevant fields and potential of the applicant to develop into an independent researcher
- Supervisory and follow-up of progress arrangements, quality of the research environment
- In addition, applicants who have been accepted to complete a Licenciate of Medicine or Licenciate of Dentistry degree in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, are eligible to apply.
- Research plan, compiled according to University of Helsinki template
- Study plan
- Agreements of supervisor(s), professor in charge and thesis committee members
- Copies of degree certificate and transcript
- Certificate of language skills if needed (HY/117/00.00.06.00/2017)
Contact address for information about application: email@example.com (especially inquiries about official documents).
DPDR reserves the right to organize an interview.
List of DPDR supervisors is in the end of this page. Contact information search in the University Helsinki: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/contact-information. It is possible to have a supervisor who is not yet on the list.
DPDR accepts updates or missing documents to the applications but cannot ensure that the right to pursue doctoral degree can be awarded by the defined deadline.
DPDR Board assesses all applications to the programme that meet the formal requirements. The Board draws up an admission proposal indicating the names of the admitted and rejected applicants, together with the reasons for each decision. The final decision is made by the degree-awarding Faculty.
In Finnish: Helsingin yliopiston tohtorintutkintoon johtavan koulutuksen valintalinjaukset Terveyden tutkimuksen tutkijakoulun tohtoriohjelmissa:
Description of DPDR and requirements for doctoral degree and teching plan (as .pdf):
Doctoral education events for compilation of Study plan
1) University of Helsinki events
Transferable skills are provided, for example, by Doctoral School in Health Sciences (DSHealth courses). Also, it’s Doctoral programmes organise scientific and transferable skills training.
Courses in the University: https://courses.helsinki.fi/en/search/results
University courses in English.
2) National courses
National drug research training network FinPharmaNet organises Annual meeting which is highly recommended for all doctoral candidates and supervisors. FinPharmaNet announces scientific training courses in drug research and toxicology organised by Finnish Universities (especially drug research doctoral programmes in the Universities of Eastern Finland and Turku) and by other organisers.
See also national course list in FinBioNet page (→ FinBioNet course calendar).
3) International courses
NorDoc – Nordic Doctoral Training in Health Sciences network provides doctoral training courses offered by the NorDoc partner organisations:
- Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University (Denmark)
- Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bergen (Norway)
- The Graduate School of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Sahlgrenska Akademin, University of Gothenburg (Sweden)
- Doctoral School in Health Sciences, University of Helsinki (Finland)
- School of Health Sciences, University of Iceland (Iceland)
- Karolinska Institutet (Sweden)
- Health and Biosciences Doctoral Programme, University of Oulu (Finland)
- Graduate School of Health Sciences, University of Southern Denmark (NOT AVAILABLE YET)
- Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Education Unit (PGE), University of Turku
For the Doctoral candidates in the Faculty of Pharmacy, ULLA network courses with Faculty support for travel are available.
Degree requirements before 1.8.2017 and transition to the new requirements
Faculty of pharmacy: http://www.helsinki.fi/pharmacy/research/postagraduate/index.htm
Faculty of medicine: https://flamma.helsinki.fi/fi/HY357527
Doctoral candidates' transition to the new degree system in the University web site.
E-forms for transition to the new requirements
University application info pages:
Postgraduate education in the faculties:
- Pharmacy (Flamma): https://flamma.helsinki.fi/portal/units/farmasia?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=P12000359611379669328883&contentId=HY330548&placeId=HY299873
Web site: http://www.helsinki.fi/pharmacy/research/postagraduate/index.htm
- Medicine (Flamma): https://flamma.helsinki.fi/fi/HY357527
Web site: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-medicine/research/doctoral-education
- Science, Web site: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-science/research/doctoral-education
Veterinary medicine (Flamma): https://flamma.helsinki.fi/portal/units/vetmed?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=P11200193161369991165437&contentId=HY305300&placeId=HY295808
Web site: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-veterinary-medicine/research/doctoral-education
Faculty of Pharmacy
Boije af Gennäs, Gustav
Garcia Horsman, J. Arturo
Moreira, Vânia M.
Santos, Hélder A.
Tuominen, Raimo K.
Faculty of Medicine
Nieminen Markku S.
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry
Institute of Biotechnology
HUCH, Helsinki University Central Hospital
Bengtstrom Marina (Mia) (Pharma Industry Finland)
Blom Taru (Orion Pharma)
Kallio Antero (Biotie)
Kivikko Matti (Orion Pharma)
Laaksonen Reijo (Zora Biosciences, CM O and Co-founder)
Mäenpää Jukka (AstraZeneca)
Pietilä Kirsi (Kontula Pharmacy)
Varhe Anu (Orion Pharma)
Kiianmaa Kalervo Professori (National Institute for Health and Welfare)
Palva Erkki Professori (Fimea)
Seppälä Timo Erikoistutkija (National Institute for Health and Welfare)