The doctoral education system of the University of Helsinki consists of four doctoral schools and 32 doctoral programmes. New doctoral candidates apply doctoral programme membership at the same time as they apply postgraduate study right at the doctoral programme.
All doctoral candidates in the Doctoral Programme in Biomedicine complete their doctoral degree in the Faculties of Medicine, Pharmacy or Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki. There are two application periods per academic year, one during the spring term and one during the autumn term. If you are interested in doctoral training, please familiarise yourself with the application guidelines well before the next application period. A carefully prepared application is the first step towards the doctoral degree.
ADMISSION CRITERIA IN THE DOCTORAL PROGRAMME IN BIOMEDICINE (DPBM)
- Scientific relevance and ambition of the research plan, use of relevant methodology
- Motivation and CV of the applicant, success in previous studies
- Thematic fit of the research plan with the doctoral programme profile
- Funding plan and feasibility of the thesis project within the intended timeframe (net time 4 years)
- Demonstration of adequate knowledge in relevant fields and potential of the applicant to develop into an independent researcher
- Supervisory and follow-up of progress arrangements, quality of the research environment
The Doctoral Programme in Biomedicine reserves the right to organize an interview.
When to apply?
The application periods in the academic year 2017 - 2018 are 1.-14.9.2017 and 3.-16.4.2018.
Who can apply?
According to the Universities Act (558/2009) section 37 eligible applicants for studies leading to a postgraduate research degree have completed
- An applicable second-cycle university degree
- An applicable second-cycle degree from a university of applied sciences, orAn applicable education at an institution abroad providing eligibility for equivalent higher education in the country in question
- In addition, applicants who have been accepted to complete a Licenciate of Medicine or Licenciate of Dentistry degree in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki, are eligible to apply.
An applicant may also be admitted to pursue a postgraduate research degree if the university finds him or her to have otherwise obtained the required knowledge and skills.