The call for doctoral candidate positions with university funding will open on this page.
There is a limited number of 1-4 year University of Helsinki -funded positions that are announced annually and the doctoral candidates are selected for funding through an open call. Instructions for applying will be published here before the application period opens, usually in August-September.
Applications received in time and fulfilling the general application requirements are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Ability and motivation as demonstrated in previous degree studies or otherwise
- Existing or potential academic merits (e.g. publications, awards, conference presentations) and the quality of the research environment (supervision)
- Quality of the research plan (including feasibility of the plan) and its relevance to the B&M fields of science.
The appointee must obtain the right to pursue a doctoral degree at the University of Helsinki by the start of the appointment.
Other ways of funding a PhD project are:
- a salary/grant paid by the supervisor through his/her research project funding. Many research groups have project funding from e.g. Academy of Finland, Tekes, ERC, foundations, etc. and can hire doctoral candidates.
- a personal grant from a private foundation applied by the doctoral candidate him/herself. You can apply for funding from several Finnish or foreign foundations: www.aurora-tietokanta.fi.
- Doctoral candidates may also fund their studies themselves or pursue their degree in tandem with work.
The B&M doctoral candidates are encouraged to work abroad in another laboratory or in an international scientific collaboration project. B&M offers travel grants for this purpose as well as for attending high quality laboratory courses abroad. The travel grants are also be available for international conferences where research results are presented as a poster or oral presentation.
University of Helsinki / Chancellor's travel grants for B&M doctoral candidates
Travel grant applications have to be filled on a special e-form. The deadline for applying for the B&M Chancellor's travel grants is February 21, 2018. The grantees will be selected by the B&M Board.
If another application period for travel grants is opened later in 2018, this will be informed by email to B&M students.
Below are the guidelines used for the Chancellor's travel grants.
Payment instructions (to be used after the grant decision).
1. Amount of the Chancellor's travel grant
- Max one Chancellor's travel grant / doctoral candidate
- For international courses/congresses in Europe max 800€
- For international courses/congresses outside Europe max 1500€
- For lab visits related to doctoral thesis worki max 1500€/applicant
2. The use of the Chancellor's travel grant
- The grant can be used to cover travel costs, such as transportation and accommodation costs and registration fees
- Dates of the trip should be within February 2018 - January 2019
3. Purpose of the Chancellor's travel grant
- The Chancellor's travel grant can be applied for the following purposes:
3.1. Travel grant for a conference or practical course abroad
- In the case of conferences either an oral or poster (1st author) presentation is required
- The grants are allocated on the basis of the relevance of the course or meeting for the applicant
3.2. Travel grant for a research visit to a collaborating laboratory abroad
- An invitation letter of the hosting laboratory or a short recommendation letter from the supervisor is required
3.3. Travel grant for visiting potential postdoc laboratories abroad
- It is highly recommended that the applicant visits more than one potential postdoc laboratory during the same trip
- An invitation letter of the hosting laboratory or a short recommendation letter from the supervisor is required.
Other travel grants
- University of Helsinki Funds travel grants will be open for applications in February 2018 (these will be informed by email to B&M students)
- FENS stipends for training stays and NENS Schools
- Brain Research Society of Finland provides travel grants for BRSF members to participate in the FENS Forum meetings and/or Nordic Neuroscience meetings.
- B&M doctoral candidates registered to Aalto Doctoral Programme of School of Science can apply for travel grants from Aalto University. More information from the Aalto B&M coordinator Jaakko Järvinen.
Proposal for UH-funded doctoral candidate positions starting in 2018
Doctoral Program Brain & Mind received 45 eligible applications for the University of Helsinki -funded doctoral positions starting in January 2018. The applications were evaluated by an Evaluation Panel with five members representing different fields of neuroscience. The selection procedure was based on the application (online call during September 1-14, 2017) and on an interview of short-listed candidates on November 6th, 2017. Based on the evaluation results, the following proposal was made by the B&M Board on November 8th, 2017. The host institution of the doctoral candidate makes the funding decision.
The names of the doctoral candidates recommended for funding are given below in alphabetical order:
- Kohtala, Samuel (1 year) Faculty of Biological and Env. Sciences, Supervisor: Tomi Rantamäki
- Winkel, Frederike (2 years) Faculty of Biological and Env. Sciences, Supervisors: Eero Castrén, Juzoh Umemori
- Woldegebriel, Rosa (3 years) Faculty of Medicine, Supervirors: Henna Tyynismaa, Emil Ylikallio