The courses of the Doctoral School in Environmental, Food and Biological Sciences are directed to all doctoral candidates within the school. The aim is to help doctoral candidates to earn the skills necessary for professional researchers, as well as experts in other positions. Discipline-specific courses are offered by the doctoral programmes within the school. The majority of the courses are in English.
Attending a course normally requires pre-registration. Registration usually opens at 9 am in WebOodi but do check the registration instructions for each course as there may be exceptions. To secure a seat it is advisable to register as early as possible. After the course registration has closed applicants will receive a notification about participation in the course. If the number of course applicants exceeds the number of available seats, the selection of attendees is based on:
- status and affiliation of applicants (YEB doctoral candidates are given first priority)
- motivation and need for participating in the course (stated in the course application form)
- order of submitting the registration form
Most of our courses are very popular and we cannot accept all applicants. Many will be placed on a waiting list. As we want to avoid empty seats on our courses and give as many doctoral candidates as possible the opportunity to attend you must cancel your seat in time if you don't participate after all. To cancel, please do the following:
- While the course registration period is still open, please cancel your participation in WebOodi.
- After the registration has closed and especially if you have already been accepted onto the course, please contact yeb-info(a)helsinki.fi.
Skipping classes and no-shows
Please notice that not showing up for the first session of a course means dropping out from the course and losing your seat. If you get sick or have some other acceptable reason for not being able to attend all the classes, please contact the teacher and agree on missing part of the teaching. On some courses you will need to complete extra tasks to make up for the missed classes.
By the decision of YEB board on September 14th, 2016, failing to cancel your course seat and thus skipping the course may influence your chances of receiving a travel grant from YEB in the future.