The master's thesis involves a research project conducted under supervision in a research group.
The topic of the thesis must be related to the selected specialisation - either Cancer, Metabolic disorders, Regenerative medicine, or Neuroscience and Psychobiology. In Cross-disciplinary Translational Medicine, the topic can be anything related to translational research.
The research group for conducting the thesis work can be agreed between the student and the group leader - the topics are not decided or pre-selected by TRANSMED programme.
Supervisors and research groups where TRANSMED theses have been completed include e.g.
- Kari Alitalo – Translational cancer biology
- Petri Hyytiä – Neurobiology of addiction
- Esa Korpi - Neuropscychopharmacology
- Riikka Kivelä - Endothelial and stem cells regulating tissue function
- Katri Koli - Growth Factor Group
- Satu Mustjoki – Hematology Research Unit Helsinki
- Marjukka Myllärniemi – Lung factor
- Päivi Ojala – Cancer cell biology
- Timo Otonkoski – Pluripotency and disease modeling
- Tiina Paunio – Sleep and health
- Tuula Salo – Oral cancer
- Pentti Tienari – Neuro-immunology and -degeneration
- Anu Wartiovaara – Mitochondrial medicine