Tino Johansson is a research coordinator of the department. He holds a Ph.D. in geography, specializing in environment, development and natural resource management. His research areas include climate change adaptation, food security, climate-smart landscapes, and human-wildlife conflicts. Tino has worked at the University of Helsinki since 2001, managing national and European projects related to GIS, in-service teacher training, and climate change. His main study area is the highlands of Eastern Africa where he lived and coordinated two research and development projects in 2011–2015. Currently, he coordinates the Taita Research Station of the University of Helsinki which is located in Wundanyi, Kenya. Tino is also a visiting scientist at the International Center of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Nairobi.
Tino in TUHAT database
- Odanga, J. J., Mohamed, S., Mwalusepo, S., Olubayo, F., Nyankanga, R., Khamis, F., Rwomushana, I., Johansson, T. P. & Ekesi, S. (2018). Spatial distribution of Bactrocera dorsalis and Thaumatotibia leucotreta in smallholder avocado orchards along altitudinal gradient of Taita Hills and Mount Kilimanjaro. Insects 9:2, 71.
- Ngowi, B. V., Tonnang, H. E. Z., Mwangi, E. M., Johansson, T., Ambale, J., Ndegwa, P. N. & Subramanian, S. (2017). Temperature-dependent phenology of Plutella xylostella (Lepidoptera: Plutellidae): Simulation and visualization of current and future distributions along the Eastern Afromontane. PLoS One 12:3, 1–24.
- Tonnang, H. E. Z., Hervé, D. B. D., Biber-Freudenberger, L., Salify, D., Subramanian, S., Ngowi, V. B., Guimapi, R. Y. A., Anani, B., Kakmeni, F. M. M., Affognon, H., Niassy, S., Landmann, T., Ndjomatchoua, F. T., Pedro, S. A., Johansson, T., Tanga, C. M., Nana, P., Fiaboe, K. M., Mohamed, S. F., Maniania, N. K., Nedozerov, L. V., Ekesi, S. and C. Borgemeister (2017). Advances in crop insect modelling methods – Towards a whole system approach. Ecological Modelling 354, 88–103.
- Calatayud P.-A., Njuguna E., Mwalusepo S., Gathara M., Okuku G., Kibe K., Musyoka B., Williamson D., Ong’amo G., Juma G., Johansson T., Subramanian S., Gatebe E. and Le Ru, B. (2016). Can climate-driven change influences silicon assimilation by cereals and hence the abundance and distribution of lepidopteran stem borers in East Africa? Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 224, 95–103.
- Mwalusepo, S., Tonnang, H.H., Massawe, E.S., Okuku, G.O., Khadioli, N., Johansson, T., Calatayud, P.A. and B. P. Le Ru (2015). Predicting the Impact of Temperature Change on the Future Distribution of Maize Stem Borers and Their Natural Enemies along East African Mountain Gradients Using Phenology Models. PLoS One 10:6.