Our research interests include the following topics:
In physical geography:
- Global change effects on Arctic environment
- Biogeography and macroecology of aquatic and terrestrial systems
- Species distribution modelling
- Big data, GIS and remote sensing in physical geography
- Physical-chemical quality and ecological status of aquatic systems
In human & urban geography and spatial planning:
- Transformation and segregation in the social and physical urban environment
- The changing rationalities and concepts of regional and urban planning
- Regional policy and geopolitics
- Urbanisation and changing relationships between state and cities, and internationalisation of cities and states
- The spatial planning system of the European Union
- The political ecology and management of natural resources and land use
- Spatial data analysis, new information sources
- Development of remote-sensing methods for environmental study, especially hyper-spectral remote-sensing data and drone applications
- Application of geoinformatics methods to environmental and urban research
Recent research projects in geography
The BioGeoClimate Modelling Lab
The BioGeoClimate Modelling Lab is focused on the spatial and temporal modelling of Earth systems, particularly patterns and processes...
Aquatic Community Ecology Group
In Aquatic Community Ecology Group we study community ecology, biogeography and macroecology and use unicellular organisms in aquatic...
Spatial Policy, Politics and Planning
As the title of our research group indicates, we are interested in the political and governmental practices of producing, maintaining and...
Urban geography and Urban academy
Mari Vaattovaara has lead and been involved in several national and international research projects, which include: Uusi kaupunkiköyhyys ja...
The Digital Geography Lab uses novel big (and open) data sources and cutting-edge analyses to support sustainable spatial planning and...
Land change studies in Africa
This research group studies land use and land cover changes taking place in sub-Saharan Africa due to agricultural expansion. More...