Petteri Muukkonen is a university lecturer in geoinformatics. I’m a geographer, and specifically I have a strong background in biogeography and in geoinformatics. I have mainly studied various biogeography and forestry themes in the boreal forest environment. For example, I have studied carbon sequestration and carbon cycle, biomass surveys and monitoring, spatial autocorrelation of soil characteristics, landscape fragmentation, habitat changes and remote sensing of forest landscape.Geoinformatics (GIS and remote sensing) has been present in some way in all of my research topics. Among my research career, I have also a teacher qualification to act as a subject teacher of geography and biology. Since my background as a teacher I have currently expanded my research topics to cover also pedagogy of geography.
Petteri in TUHAT database
- Muukkonen, P., Nevalainen, S., Lindgren, M. & Peltoniemi, M. (2015). Spatial occurrence of drought-associated damages in Finnish boreal forests: results from forest condition monitoring and GIS analysis. Boreal Environment Research 20: 2, 172-180.
- Muukkonen, P. & Heiskanen, J. (2007). Biomass estimation over a large area based on standwise forest inventory data and ASTER and MODIS satellite data: A possibility to verify carbon inventories. Remote Sensing of Environment 107: 4, 617−624.
- Muukkonen, P. (2007). Generalized allometric volume and biomass equations for some tree species in Europe. European Journal of Forest Research 126: 2, 157-166.
- Muukkonen, P. (2006). Forest inventory-based large-scale forest biomass and carbon budget assessment: new enhanced methods and use of remote sensing for verification. Dissertationes Forestales 30.
- Muukkonen, P. & Heiskanen, J. (2005). Estimating biomass for boreal forests using ASTER satellite data combined with standwise forest inventory data. Remote Sensing of Environment 99: 4, 434-447.