Structure of the programme
The Computer Science MSc degree consists of 120 credits divided into core courses, study track specific courses, and other courses, as described below. It is possible to complete the degree in two years, in accordance with an approved personal study plan. You can find more information about the individual courses by clicking the name of the course.
The degree structure is explained in more detail in study guidelines. The syllabus helps in planning your own study schedule. The whole degree structure including all courses is in WebOodi. Courses and seminars organized in the Academic year 2018-2019 can be found in the courses page.
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Distributed Systems
- Introduction to Big Data Management
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Networked Systems and Services
- Software Architectures
In addition to the above courses, you can include other courses in your degree as well, for up to 40 credits.
- The University of Helsinki offers an extensive range of courses across its eleven faculties. The Computer Science MSc programme accepts any of these courses.
- Useful method courses are also offered by other programmes, for instance, in data science, statistics and mathematics, theoretical and computational methods, language technology, digital humanities, life science informatics and computational social sciences.
- An internship in a company or a research group can give you insight into the practice or science of computer science. Work experience in computer science can also earn you credits towards your degree.
- Especially recommended are the tailored scientific writing courses for MSc students:
Also check the Finnish language courses.