Open University students get access rights to use the University of Helsinki IT systems in order to carry out their studies. The exceptions to this are the mooc-courses, that don't require the access rights.
A University of Helsinki username
In order to carry out their studies, all Open University students require access rights to use the University of Helsinki IT systems. Personal usernames and passwords are needed for using access rights.
University of Helsinki undergraduate students should use their valid usernames.
Personal access rights are granted for all Open University students for the duration of their right to study in conjunction with their registration. You will use this username throughout your studies. The validity of a username is always updated when a new course begins or a new registration is recorded. A new registration will automatically extend the validity of an old account. The validity of accounts assigned from a University of Helsinki service desk is not automatically extended, but rather the account holder must extend their validity using the extension form (Renewal of username).
Some mooc-courses don't require the access right to the university's IT-systems. In these occasions the right is not granted for the students. For more information, see the study programme of the course.
The services available with a University of Helsinki username
- Online learning environment Moodle
- Microsoft Office 365 services and e-mail address helsinki.fi*
- WebOodi (WebOodi instructions)
- Electronic library services
- The Flamma Intranet
- The University's wiki services
- The University of Helsinki public network HUPnet and Eduroam
- Student workstations and home directory
- The Download Centre
VPN portal (encrypted connection to the university with a browser)
*) NB! By activating your account, you gain access to a University of Helsinki email address and an Office 365 email account (helsinki.fi). After this, all e-mails concerning your studies will be sent to this address. If you do not wish to use the helsinki.fi email, you can redirect your email to another address. Log in to your helsinki.fi e-mail: www.helsinki.fi/office 365
Activating the account requires strong electronic identification.
Options for electronic identification: As the identification method, select
- online banking (you need a personal online banking ID) or
- mobile certificate, or
- a certificate card (meaning, an identity card containing a microchip and issued by the police or a Visa Electron charge card issued by the OP-Pohjola Group as well as a card reader and related software.)
If electronic identification is impossible, please
- complete the application form for a username and send it to the University Helpdesk via email (email@example.com).
- When Helpdesk has created the username, they will send you an e-mail.
- Arter that you must visit an ID Point to provide proof of your identity.
- After that you'll have to call Helpdesk (02941 55555) to obtain a password.
In order to use the IT services available at the University of Helsinki, you must first activate your user account. Please note that you need a Finnish e-banking account or an electronic user ID and reader in order to activate your account online!
NB! You can activate your user account at the earliest on the next day after registration to the course. After activation, it takes at least one hour and sometimes up to 24 hours for the account to start working.
Remember to activate your user account well before the beginning of the course!
Accounts are created for the duration of studies.
The initial password for the account must be changed before logging into services requiring authentication.
The password must be renewed annually. You will receive an email reminder about changing or renewing your password.
If you forget your password or it has expired, you can obtain a new password from the service of the University of Helsinki.
For information about your user account (e.g., its validity), log onto the user information site.
You can use the service to add an email address to your account if you forgot to do so while activating your account. Any information added will be updated for your account by the next morning.
- Instructions for activating a University of Helsinki user account
- Frequently asked questions about usernames
- The University of Helsinki IT helpdesk: user accounts in the University of Helsinki network
- Chat service on website
- Telephone consultation: 02941 55555
- Email: helpdesk [at] helsinki.fi
- Tell them you study at the Open University.