The University of Helsinki (UH), University of Eastern Finland (UEF) and Åbo Akademi University have created, FinPharma, a new Finnish Platform for Pharmaceutical Research. FinPharma will renew the pharmaceutical drug research through the novel research areas across the boundaries of traditional pharmaceutical disciplines and nurturing of national and international collaboration. Please see: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/networks/finpharma.
We invite applications for the position of a
UNIVERSITY RESEARCHER IN TARGETED DELIVERY OF BIOMACROMOLECULES
Biomacromolecules have emerged as major therapeutic modalities in recent years. Discovery of new biomacromolecules (various protein, RNA and DNA compounds) will lead to further therapeutic breakthroughs. The emerging cellular role of biomacromolecules will open exciting possibilities for pharmaceutical interventions, but the delivery problems can hamper development of therapeutic applications. Delivery of therapeutic macromolecules into their targets requires inter-disciplinary approaches that combine molecular and cell biology, pharmaceutical and medical methods as well as materials science and nanotechnology.
The position is shared 50/50 between the University of Helsinki (Faculty of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmaceutical Biosciences) and the University of Eastern Finland (Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Kuopio campus). The appointee is expected to perform successful research in non-viral and targeted delivery of biomacromolecules to cardiovascular and/or ocular targets. The selected candidate will perform research on drug delivery technologies in Helsinki and he/she will apply these technologies to cardiovascular and/or ocular targets in Kuopio. The appointee’s research will benefit from collaborations with local existing research programmes in biopharmaceutical, cardiovascular and ocular fields. The appointee will participate in teaching of undergraduate students and doctoral students in the field of biopharmaceutics, particularly as related to therapeutic biomacromolecules.
The appointment is for 4 years, starting date is flexible but preferably during Spring 2020. The position will be filled with a 6-month probation period.
The Faculty of Pharmacy at the University of Helsinki (http://www.helsinki.fi/pharmacy):
• ranked #47 in the world in the Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
• is located at Viikki Campus in Helsinki and provides good access to local and national research infrastructures including biobanks
• has about 200 employees, out of which 15 professors
• has about 800 undergraduate and 160 postgraduate students with well-organized doctoral school programs
• cross-disciplinary Drug Research Program and the Doctoral School of Health Sciences will form the operational framework for this position linking nationally to FinPharma
The School of Pharmacy at the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Eastern Finland (http://www.uef.fi/web/farmasia).
• is located at Kuopio Campus, right next to Kuopio University Hospital and Technology Park, and provides good access to local and national research infrastructures including biobanks
• has about 140 employees, out of which 14 professors
• has about 800 undergraduate students
* hosts 100 postgraduate students within well-organized doctoral school programs
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF THE QUALIFICATIONS
An appointee to the position of a university researcher shall hold a doctoral degree and present documentation of scholarly research work as well as have the teaching skills necessary for the position.
The position requires the ability to carry out successful research and obtain external research funding with potential of leading a research group. Scholarly work outside Finland and evidence of international cooperation are particularly appreciated. The appointee must have good English skills.
A successful candidate should have experience in non-viral delivery of biomacromolecules. Preferably the research experience should range from physicochemical methods to biological experimentation. International experience, capability to raise research funding and prior experience in ocular or cardiovascular drug delivery are considered as significant merits, but not requirements.
When considering applicants’ qualifications, attention will be paid to:
• applicant’s expertise in the research
• scientific publications in the field of the position
• success in obtaining external research funding and leading projects
• experience in supervision of students
• international research experience
• vision for development of the applicant’s own research work
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Monthly gross salary is based on the salary system for Finnish universities and will be about 3 600–5 000 euros per month depending on the applicant’s merits and potential.
• The research will be supported through collaborations with the existing research groups in the field of study at UH and UEF.
• Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and the University of Eastern Finland: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university and https://www.uef.fi/en/uef/uef-as-an-employer
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Application must include applicant’s CV (including information on external research funding, and experience in teaching and supervision of students), full and numbered list of publications, and a plan for developing research in the field of the position.
Please submit your application, with the attachments as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal. Only the mandatory fields (*) of the recruitment system including the Academic Merits questionnaire and where you found about this job opportunity may be filled in. The closing date for applications is 24 February, 2020.
• About the position and the operational environment: Professor Arto Urtti, Faculty of Pharmacy (UH) and School of Pharmacy (UEF), arto.urtti(at)helsinki.fi, +358405402279 and Professor Paavo Honkakoski, School of Pharmacy (UEF), paavo.honkakoski(at)uef.fi, +358403552490 (or +19194484682 in January, UTC-5 h, time difference -7 hours compared to EET).
• About the application and recruitment process: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, +358504155341. Technical support with the recruitment system optionally also: recruitment(at)helsinki.fi
24.02.2020 23:59 EET