The Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences invites applications for a
for the period of 1.11.2019 – 31.10.2022 (the starting date can be negotiated).
The successful candidate will join a large multinational interdisciplinary effort to work on integral membrane pyrophosphatases (Kellosalo et al., Science, 337:473-476 (2012); Li et al. & Goldman Nat Commun 7, 13596 (2016); Vidilaseris,et al., Anal Methods 10, 646–651 (2018)), to develop drugs against diseases like malaria and African sleeping sickness. The research is carried out at Molecular and Integrative Biosciences program (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-biological-and-environmental-scien...).
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Cloning in E. coli
- Membrane Protein production in E. coli and/or yeast (S. cerevisiae)
- Transfer to baculovirus
- Maintenance of eukaryotic cell systems (insect cells like Sf9, Hi5; mammalian cells like HEK293)
- Membrane protein production in insect cell/baculovirus
- Membrane protein purification and crystallization
- Enzyme inhibition assays
- General management of the laboratory
All of the work above will be performed under the direction of postdoctoral researchers in the group, with Professor Goldman as the line manager.
The successful candidate must:
1) hold an MSc or equivalent degree in biochemistry, molecular biology or a related field, or equivalent long-term laboratory experience,
2) have documented experience working on challenging protein production in various systems (ie. E. coli and yeast) and purification on the mg scale and/or in functional and enzymatic assays,
3) have documented ability to multitask,
4) have documented experience in working to deadlines,
5) have understanding of commercialisation strategies,
6) have good communication and team-work skills.
7) Be fluent in at least one of English and Finnish, and preferably both.
The successful candidate should have:
Experience in scaling up production procedures.
Previous experience in a structural biology laboratory.
The salary is based on level 5 of the job requirement scheme for other personnel in the salary system of Finnish universities (initially 85% of the work week). In addition, the appointee will be paid a salary component based on personal work performance. The gross monthly salary will be between 2100 € and 2700 € depending on the applicant’s experience and skills. The position is offered with a six-month trial period.
The application (in English as one single pdf file) should include a complete CV including education, degrees obtained, prior work experience and the names and contact information for two referees.
The application must be submitted through the University of Helsinki electronic recruitment system by clicking on Apply for job. Internal applicants (i.e., current employees of the University of Helsinki) must submit their applications through the SAP HR portal. The closing date for applications is 23.09.2019.
For more information please contact Professor Adrian Goldman, tel. +358 50 448 6378; adrian.goldman(at)helsinki.fi.
In case you need technical support with the recruitment system, please contact recruitment(at)helsinki.fi.
23.09.2019 23:59 EEST