The University of Helsinki is the largest university in Finland, which seeks solutions for global challenges and creates new ways of thinking for the best of humanity. We are one of the best multidisciplinary universities in the world and our community of about 8 000 employees offers wide ranging career development opportunities in teaching and research as well as in specialist and other support positions.
The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry is located on the Viikki campus. The mission of the faculty is to promote the sustainable use of renewable natural resources through scientific research and research-based teaching. We focus on agricultural and forest sciences, food and nutrition, microbiology, as well as on economics and management. We cover the full natural resource chain from farm to fork, the entire field of forest sciences from soil chemistry to marketing, as well as the environmental effects of related activities. Graduates from the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry are versatile experts in biosciences and business, able to meet the needs of both the business sector and society at large.
The Department of Agricultural Sciences is one of the units of the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry. The department conducts internationally recognized research, related to agricultural sciences and the bio-economy, and provides the highest-level education based on the research. The aim is to carry out research and teaching on plant production in agriculture and horticulture, animal production, and technologies and environmental effects pertaining to them, as well as to yield societal impact through research. The main research fields of the department are agrotechnology, animal science, biotechnology, plant production sciences, and soil and environmental science. Agricultural entomology belongs to the field of plant production sciences, and the successful candidate is expected to show at least basic familiarity with crop production systems. The number of Department’s personnel is about 100 and the department provides BSc and MSc study programs. The Department is active in society, and has strong collaboration with companies, government agencies, research institutes and other Universities, nationally and internationally.
The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry invites applications for the position of
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR IN AGROECOLOGY
from 1.8.2020 onwards or as agreed. The position may be filled as a tenure track assistant professorship, tenure track associate professorship or full professorship depending on the candidate’s merits and career stage.
The tenure track assistant professor, associate professor or full professor will teach and conduct research in agroecology. The appointee is expected to carry out high-quality research on the ecology of food production systems in one or several of the following research fields:
• the harnessing of ecological processes to promote the environmental, social and economical sustainability of agricultural production
• the diversification of farming, including the integration of plant and animal production
• the management of ecosystem services for food production
• the multifunctionality of agricultural ecosystems, considering the opportunities, synergies and conflicts among agricultural production and other goods and services provided by agroecosystems e.g. biodiversity, clean water, recreation and climate change mitigation
The appointee will teach and develop teaching of agroecology in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and doctoral programs of the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, including the Bachelor’s program in Environmental Sciences and Master’s program in Environmental Change and Global Sustainability.
The study programs of the Faculty:
An appointee to the position of assistant professor or associate professor in the tenure track system shall have
- a doctoral degree
- the ability to conduct independent scholarly work
- the teaching skills required for the position
- the ability and motivation to pursue an academic career, as demonstrated by publications and other means
An appointee to the position of professor shall have
- a doctoral degree
- high-level academic qualifications
- experience in leading scientific research
- the ability to provide research-based teaching and supervise dissertations and theses
- evidence of international cooperation in the research field they represent
- academic leadership skills
When considering the candidates’ qualifications, attention shall be given to scientific and teaching merits. In addition, the candidates’ activity in the scientific community, public engagement, as well as leadership and interaction skills shall also be taken into account.
Scientific merits include
- scientific publications and other research results of academic value
- success in obtaining external research funding
- international research experience
- international elected positions
Teaching merits include
- teaching experience
- pedagogical training
- the ability to produce learning material
- other teaching merits
- a teaching demonstration (if necessary)
- participation in doctoral education
To successfully attend to the duties of the position, the appointee must have good English skills.
According to the Government Decree on Universities, professors and associate/assistant professors must be proficient in Finnish. They must also have at least satisfactory spoken and written skills in Swedish. Foreign citizens, non-native Finnish citizens or citizens who have not been educated in Finnish or Swedish may be exempted from this requirement without a separate application.
If the appointee is not proficient in Finnish or Swedish, she/he is required to acquire an adequate level of proficiency in Finnish within a reasonable period of time. The university will support the appointee in acquiring the necessary Finnish language skills.
WHAT WE OFFER
We offer an interesting opportunity to work in a diverse research environment. At the Department of Agricultural Sciences you will carry out research-based teaching at the highest level in the field in Finland and have the opportunity to take part in internationally valued, first-class research activities. The position is also an opportunity to develop your own professional skills in a multidisciplinary work community of the faculty. Your work will be supported by the research and teaching staff of the department and the faculty as well as the administrative and technical staff at Viikki campus.
The professor’s salary will be based on levels 8−10 and the assistant/associate professor’s on level 7 of the job requirement scheme for teaching and research personnel in the salary system of Finnish universities. In addition, the appointee will be paid a salary component based on personal work performance. The professor’s gross annual salary varies between 64 000 and 96 000 euros and the assistant/associate professor’s between 50 000 and 68 500 euros, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience. Furthermore, University of Helsinki offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and opportunities for professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are requested to enclose with their applications a single PDF file that includes the following documents in English:
2) A report (max. 5 pages) on pedagogical expertise
3) A numbered list of publications
4) A report (max. 5 pages) on the applicant’s research activities (including activities in scientific communities, the acquisition of research funding and international scholarly work)
5) A report (max. 2 pages) on how the applicant intends to develop his or her research and focus his or her activities, if appointed
For more detailed instructions, please see
Please follow the guidelines for the description of teaching qualifications
Applications with the above attachments must be submitted in a single PDF file, which is named:
agroecology_lastname_firstname. Other attachments are not required.
The Faculty may request shortlisted applicants to submit 10 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors via the electronic recruitment system after the application deadline.
Applications must be submitted through the University’s electronic recruitment system by clicking on the link below. Internal applicants (i.e. current employees of the University of Helsinki) must submit their applications through the SAP HR portal. The deadline for applications is 16 March 2020.
• Further information can be obtained from the Director of the Department, Professor Helena Korpelainen, helena.korpelainen(at)helsinki.fi, +358 294158383
• Further information on the recruitment process may be obtained from HR Specialist Mirkka Juntunen, mirkka.juntunen(at)helsinki.fi
For more information on the tenure track model, career path and general assessment criteria for different stages at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university/tenure-t...
More about working at the University of Helsinki
Why University of Helsinki is an excellent choice
10 reasons to work in Helsinki
16.03.2020 23:59 EET