The University of Helsinki (UH), University of Eastern Finland (UEF) and Åbo Akademi University (ÅAU) have created FinPharma, a new Finnish Platform for Pharmaceutical Research. FinPharma will renew the pharmaceutical drug research through the novel research areas across the boundaries of traditional pharmaceutical disciplines and nurturing of national and international collaboration. Please see: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/networks/finpharma.
This position is shared 50/50 between the University of Helsinki (Faculty of Pharmacy) and Åbo Akademi University (Faculty of Science and Engineering).
We invite applications for the position of an
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR IN NOVEL DRUG FORMULATIONS (NYA LÄKEMEDELSFORMULERINGAR)
Pharmaceutical formulation, the bridge between drug discovery and a successful medicine, is a multidisciplinary field that encompasses all aspects associated with dosage form development, including preformulation, dosage form design, manufacturing, stability and drug delivery. Successful leadership in the field requires research and teaching experience in pharmaceutical technology. The main research responsibilities are to act as a group leader of formulation projects, to develop innovative formulation and manufacturing platforms (e.g. printing or other manufacturing methods) for high-priority applications such as delivery of poorly water-soluble small molecule drugs or personalised medicine. The appointee will participate in teaching in all aspects of pharmaceutical technology on undergraduate and graduate level.
RESEARCH AND TEACHING ENVIRONMENT
The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world. The Faculty of Pharmacy (http://www.helsinki.fi/pharmacy) ranked #47 in the world in the Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019. It is located at Viikki Campus in Helsinki and provides good access to local and national research infrastructures including biobanks. It has about 200 employees, out of which 15 are professors, and about 800 undergraduate and 160 postgraduate students with well-organized doctoral school programs. The cross-disciplinary Drug Research Program and the Doctoral School of Health Sciences will form the operational framework for this position linking nationally to FinPharma.
Åbo Akademi University is an internationally acknowledged research university with an extensive responsibility for providing education in Swedish in Finland. With its international research community and its strong Nordic ties, Åbo Akademi University has an acclaimed and recognized position within research and education both nationally and internationally. The Faculty of Science and Engineering develops solutions and processes to slow down climate change, promotes a cleaner environment and a healthier sea and finds methods to discover, treat and prevent diseases. Our goal is a healthy human in a sustainable society. Our research is done in cooperation with the industry, research institutes and other universities both in Finland and abroad.
At the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, the position will be based in the Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology. At the Faculty of Science and Engineering, Åbo Akademi University, the position will be based in the subject of Pharmacy (Pharmaceutical Sciences Laboratory).
The cities of Helsinki and Turku in southern Finland are located within 2 hours (150 kilometres) of one another by convenient and regular rail and bus connections as well as motorway.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
The successful applicant may be appointed to permanent full Professorship or fixed-term Assistant/ Associate Professorship (tenure track), depending on his or her qualifications and career stage. For more information on the career path and a description of the tenure track model at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university/tenure-t....
An appointee to the position of Assistant/Associate Professor in the tenure track system shall hold a doctoral degree, have the ability to conduct independent scientific research work, have the teaching skills necessary for the position, and have the ability and motivation for an academic career.
An appointee to full Professorship shall hold a doctoral degree and have top-level scholarly qualifications, experience in the supervision of scientific research, as well as the ability to provide top-level research-based teaching and to supervise theses and dissertations. In addition, the appointee shall present documentation of international cooperation in the field of research that he or she represents. Holders of professorships shall also have the skills necessary for serving as an academic leader.
The appointee should demonstrate evidence of strong independent and collaborative research productivity, as well as potential for gaining external funding.
When considering applicants’ qualifications, attention will be paid to:
• the applicant’s expertise in the research field
• scientific publications in the field of the position
• experience in successfully leading research projects
• success in obtaining external research funding
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, as well as other teaching merits such as pedagogical training
• international research experience, other international experience and positions of trust
• vision for development of the applicant’s own research work and the research field in general
To successfully attend to the duties of the position, the appointee should have good English skills. The appointee should also have excellent proficiency in Swedish and at least satisfactory skills in Finnish.
Foreign citizens and naturalized Finnish citizens are exempt from the requirements to have knowledge of Swedish and Finnish. However, as the administrative and teaching language of Åbo Akademi University is primarily Swedish, the person appointed should acquire such knowledge of Swedish during his or her employment, that he or she will be able to participate successfully in teaching and administrative tasks in Swedish in the future. The university will actively provide support with this.
Excellent knowledge of Swedish can be demonstrated in various ways, for instance, as stated below. It is possible to demonstrate the required Swedish language skills after the application deadline has passed.
1) The applicant has received school education in Swedish and has passed a written exam (maturity test) in Swedish as part of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, or
2) The applicant has passed the Åbo Akademi University test in Swedish; the Language Board of Åbo Akademi University will upon request (free of charge, often around the time of an interview) arrange a test for the applicant’s demonstration of excellent Swedish skills, or
3) The applicant has passed the national civil service language test in Swedish with excellent oral
and written knowledge of Swedish. (https://www.oph.fi/fi/koulutus-ja-tutkinnot/kieli-ja-kaantajatutkinnot/v...)
4) If the applicant has passed a national Swedish-language test at level 6 (https://www.oph.fi/fi/koulutus-ja-tutkinnot/kieli-ja-kaantajatutkinnot/y...), the language skills must
be demonstrated in an additional language test in Swedish arranged by the Language Board of Åbo Akademi University.
A test is not required if the Language Board of Åbo Akademi University unanimously notes that the applicant has the necessary language skills for the position through his/her previous activities. More information on the Language Board (Språknämnden) is available at http://web.abo.fi/befattningar/sprakinstruktionen_larare2010.pdf.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Annual gross salary for Assistant/Associate Professor will amount to 54,000 - 68,000 euros and for Professor to 67,000 - 90,000 euros depending on the applicant’s merits and career stage. Standard Finnish pension benefits and occupational health care are provided for employee.
• The position is associated with a negotiable start-up package.
• Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and Åbo Akademi University: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university and https://www.abo.fi/en/about-abo-akademi-university.
Finland is a member of the EU, has high quality and inexpensive childcare, free schooling and tertiary training (also in English), generous family benefits and healthcare, and was recently ranked as the best country in the world for expat families.
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
• The application must include an academic portfolio (in English), which includes applicant’s CV and information on language skills, publication list and scientific activity including acquired research funding, report on the experience and merits related to teaching skills; as well as a plan (maximum of 2 pages) for advancing research and teaching in the field of the professorship.
• More information on the report related to teaching skills: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy/faculty/jobs-and-vacancie....
• A general example of the structure of an academic portfolio: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/academic-portfolio.
Please submit your application, with the academic portfolio as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees at the University of Helsinki are for technical reasons requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal. Only the mandatory fields (*) of the recruitment system including the Academic Merits questionnaire and where you found about this job opportunity may be filled in. The closing date for applications is 21 September 2020 (23:59 EEST).
Applicants are kindly asked to prepare for the situation in which, after the closing of the application period, the Faculty may request them to submit 5-10 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors.
• On the position and research and teaching environment: Professor Clare Strachan, clare.strachan(at)helsinki.fi, +358503185341; Professor Jari Yli-Kauhaluoma, jari.yli-kauhaluoma(at)helsinki.fi, +358504151604 and Professor Jessica Rosenholm, jessica.rosenholm(at)abo.fi, +358504605886
• On the recruitment process and system, tenure track model, academic portfolio and language requirements: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, +358504155341
• On the Swedish language requirements also: HR Specialist Sabina Ringvall, sabina.ringvall(at)abo.fi, +358505714304
21.09.2020 23:59 EEST