The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-veterinary-medicine) is the only institution of higher education in Finland to train veterinarians. It has about 750 undergraduate and postgraduate students and employs about 150 academic staff, which is about a half of the total staff number. The degree programmes have been accredited in accordance with the European System of Evaluation of Veterinary Training (ESEVT). The Faculty has four departments and a Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The Veterinary Teaching Hospital consists of three units: Equine Hospital, Small Animal Hospital and Production Animal Hospital.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine invites applications for the position of an
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR IN EQUINE MEDICINE
The teaching field specified for the position is equine medicine and can be further adjusted, based on the qualifications of the successful candidate, into either equine internal medicine or equine surgery. The appointee is responsible for research and development in the field, and for undergraduate, postgraduate and specialist/residency training. To successfully carry out the duties of the position, the appointee must be experienced in clinical practice as well as teaching and research in equine medicine. A professional specialist degree in equine medicine (e.g. a specialist in European or American Board of Veterinary Specialisation; EBVS or ABVS) will be considered as a merit.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF THE QUALIFICATIONS
The applicant may be appointed to a fixed-term assistant/associate professorship (tenure track) or permanent full professorship, depending on his or her qualifications and career stage. For more information on the tenure track model, career path and general assessment criteria for different stages at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university/tenure-t....
An appointee to the position of an assistant/associate professor in the tenure track system shall hold a doctoral degree, have the ability to conduct independent scientific research work, have the teaching skills necessary for the position, and have the ability and motivation for an academic career.
An appointee to a full professorship shall hold a doctoral degree and have top-level scholarly qualifications, experience in the supervision of scientific research, as well as the ability to provide top-level research-based teaching and to supervise theses and dissertations. In addition, the appointee shall present documentation of international cooperation in the field of research that he or she represents. Holders of professorships shall also have the skills necessary for serving as an academic leader.
Applicant’s expertise and experience in the research and teaching will be mainly assessed by considering:
• scientific publications in the field of the position
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, as well as other teaching merits
• activity/success in obtaining external research funding
• experience in research project management
• international research experience and positions of trust
• vision for development of the applicant’s own research work and the research field in general
The appointee must have fluent English skills. If the appointee is not proficient in Finnish or Swedish, he/she is expected to acquire moderate proficiency within a reasonable time after the appointment. Support for language studies is offered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Monthly gross salary will be about 4 300–5 400 euros for assistant/associate professor and about 5 400–6 800 euros for professor depending on the applicant’s merits and career stage.
• The position is associated with a negotiable start-up package.
• Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and why the University of Helsinki is an excellent career choice: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university.
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Application must include an academic portfolio (in English), which includes applicant’s CV, publication list and scientific activity (including acquired research funding), report on the experience and merits related to the assessment of teaching skills; as well as a plan for developing research and teaching in the field of professorship (maximum of 2 pages). For more information, please see and take into account in your academic portfolio:
Please submit your application, together with the required attachments as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal. Only the mandatory fields (*) of the recruitment system including the Academic Merits questionnaire and where you found about this job opportunity may be filled in. The closing date for applications is 9 June, 2019.
Applicants are kindly asked to prepare for the situation in which, after the closing of the application period, the faculty may request them to submit up to 5-10 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors.
• About the position and the operational environment: Professor Outi Vapaavuori, outi.vapaavuori(at)helsinki.fi, p. +358407432242
• About the recruitment process: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, p. +358504155341, technical support with the recruitment system also: recruitment(at)helsinki.fi
09.06.2019 23:59 EEST