Study right to be awarded
If you are admitted you are awarded right to pursue a Master of Science Degree in the Master’s Programme in Translational Medicine (TRANSMED).
Minimum criteria for admission
You may be admitted if:
- You meet the eligibility requirements for the study programme
- You demonstrate your eligibility within the time limit
- You send the application and all required enclosures within the time limit.
Further information on eligibility requirements can be found in the section entitled “Eligibility”.
The application procedure of TRANSMED is part of the international graduate student selection procedure of the University of Helsinki.
If your application meets the minimum requirements, it will be sent for academic evaluation. Further information on academic evaluation is in the section entitled “Selection criteria”. The University of Helsinki does not provide any preliminary evaluation on the suitability of the applicant’s previous studies.
Read more about what will happen after the application period.
The number of admitted students
The maximum annual enrolment of TRANSMED is 30 students.
The Board of the Master’s Degree Programme in Translational Medicine (TRANSMED) is responsible for the student selection.
The student selection has two phases.
In the first phase, all eligible applications are evaluated by a selection committee nominated by the TRANSMED board. Four selection committee members score the applications independently based on
- The content and the suitability of the Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (40 %), including the grades of the Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with reference to the academic level of the institution of education
- The motivation letter by the applicant (40 %)
- The letter of recommendation (20 %)
Each evaluator gives a recommendation for the second phase interview invitations based on the scoring.
In the second phase, a maximum of 60 applicants with the highest application scores and with a recommendation for the interview from at least three (3) evaluators are invited to an on-line interview. The e-mail invitations with interview schedules and instructions will be sent by Monday 12 March 2018. The applicants should have a possibility for a Skype interview and a Skype ID. A head-set is strongly recommended. The interviews will be conducted on Wednesday 14 – Friday 16 March 2018 by two members of the selection committee.
The objective of the interview is to ensure the applicant’s motivation, communication skills, and the feasibility of the applicant’s aims as based on the written application.
The interviews are scored on a three-step scale: outstanding, as expected, and poor. Applicants reaching “outstanding” or “as expected” interview scores will be ranked for admission and for wait list positions on the basis of their total score (the sum of their application and interview scores).
Announcement of the results and the right of appeal
All applicants will be informed of the results of the student selection by 13th April 2018 at the latest. An applicant not satisfied with the results of the student selection may appeal in writing. The appeal must be submitted to the Admission Services of the University of Helsinki.
You may apply if you meet the following two criteria:
- You have completed or will complete by 31 July 2018 at least a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent at a university or an institution of higher education in natural sciences or life sciences (for example biomedicine, or computer science or a related field (e.g., psychology and engineering)). NB! Degrees higher than a Bachelor’s degree are not regarded as an additional merit.
- You demonstrate your proficiency in English according to Rector’s decision HY/219/00.00.06.00/2017. Applicants to TRANSMED are required to have academic level English skills. The Faculty of Medicine accepts studies in English as a foreign language (as defined in the Government Decree on University Degrees 794/2004) in a degree fully completed at a Finnish university or at a Finnish university of applied sciences as an indication of an applicant’s sufficient English language skills.
If you are, or have been, a degree student at the University of Helsinki, please check any special provisions that may apply to you.
The application will be processed in the student selection procedure only if it satisfies the minimum requirements set by the University of Helsinki.
If you have a refugee status or are in a refugee-like situation, and you do not have the official documents to prove your eligibility to apply for higher education, you can still apply to University of Helsinki.
The Master’s Degree Programme in Translational Medicine can be completed fully in English.
The language requirements for TRANSMED have been set according to a Rector’s decision (HY/219/00.00.06.00/2017). Applicants to TRANSMED are required to have academic-level English skills. A description of the means of verifying academic-level English skills is available at the University’s pages.
The Faculty of Medicine accepts studies in English as a foreign language (as defined in the Government Decree on University Degrees 794/2004) in a degree fully completed at a Finnish university or at a Finnish university of applied sciences as an indication of an applicant’s sufficient English language skills.
- Officially certified copy of degree certificate / diploma
- Official transcript of records
- Certificate of language skills
- Official translations in English
- A photocopy of your passport OR your Finnish residence permit card
- Motivation letter as part of online application form
- Instructions for the motivation letter in TRANSMED application
- For further information and instructions on how to submit the required attachments, please see the university’s instructions on submitting application documents.
- In certain countries, the holders of academic degrees must observe country-specific regulations on the submission of documents. Please see the university’s instructions on country-specific requirements.
- For further information on the demonstration of language proficiency in English, please see the university’s instructions on demonstration of language proficiency.
- If the degree on the basis of which you are applying to the programme is still incomplete, you need not submit a degree certificate / diploma with the application documents. If you are admitted, the admission decision will be conditional, and you will receive instructions with your letter of admission for submitting the official degree certificate / diploma. N.B.! Your degree must be completed by 31 July 2018. The final degree certificate/diploma must be presented by 14 August 2018 at the latest.
Also required in TRANSMED application
- One letter of recommendation (in English) from an academic professional. The referee should specify in which capacity he/she has formed an expert opinion of the applicant. The recommendation letter must be dated and include the signature of the referee. Only an original or an officially certified copy of the recommendation can be accepted. If the application includes more than one recommendation letter, only one arbitrarily selected recommendation will be included in the evaluation.
The application will be processed in the student selection procedure only if it satisfies the minimum requirements set by the University of Helsinki and includes a motivation letter submitted as part of the application form and a letter of recommendation. The application documents will not be returned.
|Due date||12.1.2018, 15:00|
University Admissions Finland
Unioninkatu 40 C