You may apply if you meet the following three requirements:
- You have completed by 31 July 2019 a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete studies required for the master’s programme by 11 January 2019. Below are more details concerning applicable studies.
- You are able to demonstrate your proficiency in English. For further instructions on demonstrating your proficiency in English, see the section “Required enclosures”.
If you are, or have been, a degree student at the University of Helsinki, please check any special provisions that may apply to you.
If you have refugee status or are in a refugee-like situation, please read the applicable instructions.
You may be admitted if
- You prove your eligibility (see above) by the deadline
- You submit the application and the required attachments within the specified deadline. The application form is open from 3 December 2018 (8:00h Finnish time) to 11 January 2019 (15:00h Finnish time). Read more about what will happen after the application period.
- you have completed an applicable degree in Finland or abroad in law or in a field that provides you with the skills required to complete Master’s level law studies in international business law. Please note: even if the degree serving as grounds for application is not completed during the application round, you must have a sufficient number of applicable studies completed by 11 January 2019.
The applicability of the field and the sufficiency of the competed studies will be evaluated in conjunction with admission. The University of Helsinki does not provide any preliminary evaluation on the suitability of the applicant’s previous studies.
If you do not meet the minimum criteria for admission listed above, you cannot be admitted. The below-described admission criteria apply to applicants who meet the minimum criteria for admission.
A maximum of 30 students who fulfil the admission criteria will be selected for the degree programme that begins in autumn 2019. Applicants can also be placed on a reserve list.
Students will be selected to the Master’s programme based on an overall assessment of the applications. Special attention will be focused on ascertaining that the studies included in the applicant’s previous degree and/or used as the basis for the application are suitable and relevant in terms of level, content and quality, and that they form as solid a foundation as possible for studies in the Master's Programme in International Business Law.
The student selection will be based primarily on the contents of previous studies, the quality of the degree, academic performance and a motivation letter composed by the applicant. International experience and work experience may also be considered in the selection process.
Since the selection will be based on an overall assessment, the number of applicants and the quality of the applications will ultimately determine the requirements for acceptance. In other words, an applicant who meets the specified criteria may nevertheless fail to be accepted.
Applicants will be informed of the results of the student selection by 12 April 2019 at the latest. Please note the one study place per term provision if you are applying for more than one study programmes in the spring 2019.
Study right to be awarded
The students will complete the degree of Master of International and Comparative Law, MICL (kansainvälisen ja vertailevan oikeustieteen maisteri, magister i internationell och komparativ rätt) under the Government Decree on University Degrees (794/2004, amended Appendix 967/2010).
The Master of International and Comparative Law degree qualifies the degree holder to pursue general postgraduate studies and to assume a post or position that calls for a second-cycle degree. However, it does not provide qualifications for a post or position that expressly requires a Finnish Master of Laws (oikeustieteen maisteri, OTM) degree.
Statistics on applicants can be found on the university’s web page.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents, and the documents must be submitted as instructed below:
- Official photocopy of the degree certificate/diploma
- Official transcript
- Certificate of language proficiency
- Authorised translations into English, Finnish or Swedish
- A photocopy of your passport, your official identity card or your Finnish residence permit card
- Diploma supplement (if available)
- Motivation letter to be included in the application form
1) Read carefully the instructions on application enclosures and their submission.
2) You must demonstrate your proficiency in English. Read the instructions on proving your language skills.
3) If the degree serving as grounds for application to the programme is still incomplete, you need not submit a degree certificate/diploma with the application documents. If you are admitted, the admission decision will be conditional, and you will receive instructions with your letter of admission for submitting the official degree certificate/diploma. NB! The final degree certificate/diploma must be presented by 14 August 2019 at the latest.
4) The degree programme may request additional clarification of the applicant's documents. On request, the applicant must submit additional information on his or her application in writing within the time specified.
|Due date||11.1.2019, 15:00|
Admission Services, University of Helsinki
Unioninkatu 40 C