Study right to be awarded
If you are admitted, you have been granted the right to pursue the degree of Master of Arts in the Master’s Programme in Intercultural Encounters. On the application form you will have to select the degree you want to take: Master of Theology or Master of Arts (Humanities).
Minimum criteria for admission
You may be admitted if
- You meet the specified eligibility requirements
- You demonstrate your eligibility within the specified deadline
- You submit the application and the required attachments within the specified deadline.
Further information on eligibility requirements can be found in the section entitled “Eligibility”. Further information on submitting the required attachments can be found in the section entitled “Required attachments”.
If you do not meet the minimum criteria for admission listed above, you cannot be admitted. The below-described admission criteria apply to applicants who meet the minimum criteria for admission.
- You must have completed basic and intermediate studies (a minimum of 60 credits) in a field applicable to the Master’s programme, or studies of an equivalent level and scope. You must have completed these studies by the deadline given in the section “Eligibility” (precondition 2.) even if the degree you are applying with (see “Eligibility”, precondition 1.) should not be completed by that time! The applicability of the field and the sufficiency of the competed studies will be evaluated in conjunction with admission. The University of Helsinki does not provide any preliminary evaluation on the suitability of the applicant’s previous studies.
All applications will be scored, and your admission will depend on the score your application has received. The total score will be determined based on the following:
- The applicability/suitability (content and level) of previous studies
- Academic performance in studies required by the Master’s programme
- Your ability to write scientific text.
If in this round of admissions you are applying for more than one Master’s programme at the Faculty of Arts, University of Helsinki, you must rank them in order of preference on your application form. If you could be admitted to more than one programme, you can only be admitted to the one you have ranked the highest.
Read more about what will happen after the application period.
Applicants will be informed of the results of the student selection by 13 April 2018 at the latest. Please note the one study place per term provisionif you are applying for more than one study programmes in the spring 2018.
Statistics on applicants can be found on the university’s web page.
You may apply if you meet the following three requirements:
- You have completed or will complete by 31 July 2018 a first-cycle degree (e.g. Bachelor’s degree) or a second-cycle degree (e.g. Master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad. For further instructions, see the section “Required attachments”.
- You have completed the studies required for the Master’s programme by 12 January 2018. For further instructions, see the sections “Student admission to the study programme” and “Required attachments”.
- You demonstrate that you are proficient in English in the manner specified in Rector’s Decision HY/219/00.00.06.00/2017. For further instructions, see the section “Required attachments”.
If you are, or have been, a degree student at the University of Helsinki, please check any special provisions that may apply to you.
If you have a refugee status or are in a refugee-like situation, and you do not have the official documents to prove your eligibility to apply for higher education, you can still apply to University of Helsinki.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents and the documents must be submitted as instructed below:
- Officially certified copy of the degree certificate /diploma
- Official transcript of studies
- Certificate of language proficiency
- Authorised translations
- A photocopy of your passport OR your Finnish residence permit card
- Motivation letter to be included in the application form
- Short scientific text to be included in the application form
- Course catalogue(if you have completed studies outside Finland)
- A diploma supplement (if available)
1) For further information and instructions on how to submit the required attachments, please see the university’s instructions on submitting application documents.
2) In certain countries, the holders of academic degrees must observe country-specific regulations on the submission of documents. Please see the university’s instructions on country-specific requiremets.
3) For further information on the demonstration of language proficiency in English, please see the university’s instructions on demonstration of language proficiency.
4)If the degree on the basis of which you are applying to the programme is still incomplete, you need not submit a degree certificate/ diploma with the application documents. If you are admitted, the admission decision will be conditional, and you will receive instructions with your letter of admission for submitting the official degree certificate/ diploma. N.B.! The final degree certificate/diploma must be presented by 14 August 2018 at the latest.
|Due date||12.1.2018, 15:00|
University Admissions Finland
Unioninkatu 40 C