You may apply if you meet the following three requirements:
- You have completed or will complete by 31 July 2019 a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or a second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete applicable studies required for the master’s programme by 11 January 2019. Below are more details concerning applicable studies.
- You have sufficient proficiency in English. For further instructions on demonstrating your language proficiency, see the section “Required attachments”.
If you are, or have been, a degree student at the University of Helsinki, please check any special provisions that may apply to you.
If you have refugee status or are in a refugee-like situation, please read the applicable instructions.
You may be admitted if
- You prove your eligibility (see above) by the deadline
- You submit an electronic application through the Studyinfo service during the application round and submit the required attachments by the deadline. The application form is open from 3 December 2018 (8:00h Finnish time) to 11 January 2019 (15:00h Finnish time). Read more about what will happen after the application round.
- You have completed basic and intermediate studies (a minimum of 60 ECTS credits) in a field applicable to the Master’s programme, or studies of an equivalent level and scope. Applicable fields of previous studies may include, but are not limited to, the following: Area and cultural studies, Language and culture, Political studies, Sociology, International relations, Media and communication, Study of religions, Theology. Please note: even if the degree serving as grounds for application is not completed during the application round (eligibility criterion 1), you must have a sufficient number of applicable studies completed by 11 January 2019 (eligibility criterion 2).The applicability of the field and the sufficiency of the competed studies will be evaluated in conjunction with admission. The University of Helsinki does not provide any preliminary evaluation on the suitability of the applicant’s previous studies.
All applications will be scored, and your admission will depend on the score your application has received.
On the application form you will have to select the degree you want to take: Master of Theology or Master of Arts (Humanities).
If in this round of admissions you are applying to more than one master’s programme at the Faculty of Arts, University of Helsinki, you must rank them in order of preference on your application form. Even if you qualified for admission into more than one programme, you will only be offered a place in the one you ranked the highest.
Applicants will be informed of the results of the student selection by 12 April 2019 at the latest. Please note the one study place per term provision if you are applying for more than one study programme in the spring 2019.
Study right to be awarded
If you are admitted, you have been granted the right to pursue the degree of Master of Arts in the Master’s Programme in Intercultural Encounters.
Statistics on applicants can be found on the university’s web page.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents and the documents must be submitted as instructed below:
- Officially certified copy of the degree certificate /diploma
- Official transcript of studies
- A diploma supplement (if available)
- Certificate of language proficiency
- Authorised translations (when necessary)
- A photocopy of your passport OR your Finnish residence permit card OR your official identity card
- Motivation letter to be included in the application form
- Short scientific text to be included in the application form
- Course catalogue (if you have completed studies outside Finland).
1) For further information and instructions on how to submit the required attachments, please read carefully the university’s instructions on submitting application documents.
2) Please see the university’s instructions on demonstration of language proficiency.
3) If the degree on the basis of which you are applying to the programme is still incomplete, you need not submit a degree certificate/ diploma with the application documents. If you are admitted, the admission decision will be conditional, and you will receive instructions with your letter of admission for submitting the official degree certificate/ diploma. N.B.! The final degree certificate/diploma must be presented by 14 August 2019 at the latest.
|Due date||11.1.2019, 15:00|
Admission Services, University of Helsinki
Unioninkatu 40 C