You may apply if you meet the following three requirements:
- You have completed by 31 July 2019 a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete studies required for the master’s programme by 11 January 2019. Below are more details concerning applicable studies.
- You have sufficient proficiency in English. For further instructions on demonstrating your language proficiency, see the section “Required attachments”.
If you are, or have been, a degree student at the University of Helsinki, please check any special provisions that may apply to you.
If you have refugee status or are in a refugee-like situation, please read the applicable instructions.
Choosing a study track
The Master’s Programme in Contemporary Societies has five study tracks and can admit no more than 32 new students. You can only apply for one of the study tracks, and you will have to select your study track on the application form.
Study tracks in the programme:
- Anthropology (5 new students)
- Development Studies (5 new students)
- Social Psychology (6 new students)
- Sociology (9 new students)
- Social and Public Policy (7 new students)
If the maximum intake of students per study track is not filled, the master’s programme may, within the resources available, admit additional students from another study track of the programme so that the maximum intake of admissions is filled.
Applicants to the Master’s Programme in Contemporary Societies must have completed a sufficient amount of studies applicable to the discipline of the selected study track. The studies included in the degree serving as grounds for application to the programme, or the studies completed in addition to that degree, must be applicable and appropriate to the master’s programme and its disciplines in terms of both content and the applicant’s performance so as to provide sufficient knowledge and skills for master’s studies.
You may be admitted if
- You prove your eligibility (see above) by the deadline
- You submit an electronic application during the application round and submit the required attachments by the specified deadline.The application form is open from 3 December 2018 (8:00h Finnish time) to 11 January 2019 (15:00h Finnish time). Read more about what will happen after the application period.
- You have completed studies worth at least 35 credits providing a sufficient basis for master’s level studies in the field or a related field (anthropology, development studies, social psychology, sociology, social and public policy, or applicable related fields) of the study track applied for
- You have completed studies worth at least 15 credits that provide appropriate methodological knowledge and skills for master’s studies
Please note: even if the degree you are using as grounds for application is not completed during the application round, you must have a sufficient amount of applicable studies completed by 11 January 2019.
The applicability of the field and the sufficiency of the completed studies will be evaluated in conjunction with admission. The University of Helsinki does not provide any preliminary evaluation on the suitability of the applicant’s previous studies.
Factors affecting admissions:
- Applicability of previous studies to the selected study track in the master’s programme
- Academic performance
- Letter of motivation
- Short scientific text
Applications will be scored, and your admission will depend on the score your application has received.
If in this round of admissions you are applying for more than one master’s programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Helsinki, you must rank them in order of preference on your application form. If you could be admitted to more than one programme, you can only be admitted to the one you have ranked the highest.
Applicants will be informed of the results of the student selection by 12 April 2019 at the latest. Please note the one study place per term provision if you are applying for more than one study programme in spring 2019.
Study right to be awarded
If you are admitted, you have been granted the right to pursue the degree of Master of Social Sciences in the Master’s Programme in Contemporary Societies.
Statistics on applicants can be found on the University’s webpage.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents, and the documents must be submitted as instructed below:
- Officially certified copy of the degree certificate/diploma
- Official transcript
- Certificate of language proficiency
- Authorised translations into English, Finnish or Swedish (when necessary)
- A photocopy of your passport OR your official identity card OR your Finnish residence permit card
- Diploma supplement (if available)
- Letter of motivation to be included in the application form
- Short scientific text to be included in the application form
1) Read carefully the instructions on application enclosures and their submission.
2) You must demonstrate your proficiency in English. Read the instructions on proving your language skills.
3) If the degree serving as grounds for application to the programme is still incomplete, you need not submit a degree certificate/diploma with the application documents. If you are admitted, the admission decision will be conditional, and you will receive instructions with your letter of admission for submitting the official degree certificate/diploma. NB! The final degree certificate/diploma must be presented by 14 August 2019 at the latest.
|Due date||11.1.2019, 15:00|
Admission Services, University of Helsinki
Unioninkatu 40 C