Histology Core Facility
The Histology Core Facility enables researchers to prepare tissue specimens for paraffin embedding, paraffin sectioning, plastic sectioning, cryosectioning, vibratome sectioning, and histological stains. It also provides technical assistance and training in histological techniques to investigators throughout Viikki and the University of Helsinki.
The facility is equipped with 2 cryostat workstations (cryostat, microsope), 6 microtome workstations (microtome, microsope, water bath), 1 vibratome workstation (vibratome, microsope), 2 automated tissue processor machines for paraffin, 1 manual paraffin embedding station, 1 oven for manual paraffin processing, and 2 manual slide staining workstations.
As a next step for fast and high-quality analysis of stained sections, we provide high-throughput, brightfield scanning service for your microscopy slides in our BI Histoscanner facility.
Additional services are also available in our HiLAPS platform.
All available equipments at the facility can be booked using Excel reservation file (one worksheet per room), by indicating both your name AND PI/group name: Histolab_Booking.xlsx
New users of the facility must participate to a hands-on training session (tissue processing & sectioning) before starting using the equipment. Please contact directly our technician Julia (email@example.com) to arrange a time for a training and/or for services.
List of services and associated fees (effective 01/01/2022)
- Automatic tissue processing (first rack): 70 or 100€ / standard or long run
- Automatic tissue processing (additional rack): 30€ / run
- Manual tissue processing (oven): 45€ / run
- Tissue embedding (embedding station): 7€ / hour
- Sectioning (microtome, cryostat, vibratome): 6.50€ / hour
- Histological staining of sections: 8€ / hour
- Deparaffinization: 7€ / hour
- Hands-on training (tissue processing & sectioning): 50€ / hour
- Automatic tissue processing (first rack): 90 or 120€ / standard or long run
- Automatic tissue processing (additional rack): 40€ / run
- Tissue embedding: 60€ / hour
- Sectioning (microtome, cryostat): 60€ / hour
- Histological staining of sections: 3€ / slide
- Deparaffinization: 2.50 € / slide
Fees include paraffin, standard disposable blades for sectioning, and chemicals for tissue processing, deparaffinization, and staining.
- Automated tissue processor Leica ASP300S
- Automated tissue processor Leica ASP200
- Manual paraffin embedding station Tissue-Tek
- Microtome Leica 2035 Jung Biocut
- Microtome Leica Jung RM 2055
- Microtomes Microm HM 355
- Microtomes Microm HM 355 S
- Vibratome Microm HM 650 V
- Cryostat Leica CM3050
- Cryostat Leitz 1720
- Manual slide staining sets Tissue-Tek II
The core is located at the Institute of Biotechnology, in rooms 5026 (tissue processing), 5032a (sectioning), and 5032b (histological staining) of Biocenter 2 building (Viikinkaari 5).
Director: Dr Nicolas Di-Poï (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Technician: Julia Eymann (email@example.com)