Rooms for researchers and thesis writers
Helsinki University Library has special work rooms for UH researchers and thesis writers.
Researcher facilities in Kaisa House are available for booking by researchers and teachers of the University of Helsinki.
- Room 6034 on the sixth floor of Kaisa House accommodates one to four people.
- Room 7046 on the seventh floor of Kaisa House accommodates two to eight people.
You can also use the facilities without booking, but those with a booking are always given priority.
Bookings can only be made by the University's researchers and teachers. The facilities are booked through the Office365 calendar.
Names of the facilities in the Office365 calendar
- Kaisa-talo, Researcher Lounge 7046
- Kaisa-talo, Researchers' Reading Room 6034.
Rooms for master's thesis writers
Learning Centre Aleksandria has three rooms for those who are working on their Master’s thesis.
The rooms 229, 230 and 231 are located on the second floor.
The rooms are always unlocked and cannot be booked.
Book a mobile storage unit for thesis materials
Students of the University of Helsinki can borrow a mobile storage unit for storing material needed in their research or thesis work. The storage trolleys make it easy to store and move working materials around the library facilities.
The storage units can be found at all library locations and learning centres.
Keys for the storage units in Aleksandria, Minerva and Kaisa House can be borrowed from the Kaisa House customer service desk.
- The loan period for the storage units is 28 days.
- Making a request for a unit is free, but for requests that have not been picked up you will be charged a fee of €3.
- The overdue fine for storage units is €1/day, with a maximum total charge of €15.
- You are not allowed to keep reference material or material you haven’t checked out in the unit.
- If necessary, the library staff have the right to unlock a storage unit that is currently out on loan, and inspect its contents.
The units can be located using the Helka database, with the keyword 'gradukärry'.
As an alumnus or alumna of UH, you can book the alumni room (2024) on the 2nd floor of Kaisa House for a meeting, group work or open discussion.
You can book the alumni room for two hours at a time on Mon-Fri between 4 - 8 pm and on Sat 11 am - 5 pm in Helsinki Alumni Hub.
- Video projector
- Wireless and wired internet connection
- Sound system
- Webcam with a stand
- Conference microphone
- Adapter for connecting your own laptop or tablet (Apple iPad or Samsung)
An A3 colour scanner and a computer with Photoshop software are located on the fifth floor of Kaisa House in room 5041.
A University of Helsinki user account is required to access the computer. The colour scanner is not available to customers from outside the University of Helsinki.
Students and staff of the University of Helsinki can book the equipment in the special work rooms through the University’s Office365 calendar.
Name of the device in the Office365 calendar:
- Kaisa-talo, A3 Color Scanner and PC, 5041
Instructions on how to book a room with Office 365 Calendar
You can book a special work room with your Office365 calendar.
- Open the calendar. Double-click the day for which you want to make a booking. When the window opens, press the arrow in the upper right corner.
- Click Search for a room or location, and select + Browse with Room Finder from the drop-down menu.
- Type Kaisa-talo, keskusta in the search box.
- Choose a suitable researcher room from the drop-down menu.
- The room you have reserved will send an email to confirm or reject your reservation. Please note that the reservation is valid only after the room calendar has confirmed it. Always check the email sent by the room. Save the email in case there is a problem with the reservation.
- Your reservation will be rejected if it is too long (more than two hours), the reservation is outside the opening hours, you don't have reserving rights, or if someone else has made a reservation at the same time as you.