Helsinki Observatory now functions as the astronomy visitor centre of the Helsinki University Museum. The Observatory's exhibition gives people of all ages an opportunity to learn about the wonders of space and the history of the Observatory building. Designed by architect C. L. Engel in collaboration with professor of astronomy F.W.A. Argelander, the Observatory was completed on Tähtitorninmäki Hill in 1834. The Observatory was ahead of its time and served as a model for other observatories around the world for decades.