HiLIFE is seeking a Director of the Institute of Neuroscience Center. The Neuroscience Center (NC) focuses on research in molecular and cellular neuroscience, developmental neuroscience, cognitive and systems neuroscience, and basic research of the nervous system diseases. NC currently has 12 research groups and operates on the Viikki biological and Meilahti medical campuses and is moving to new space in Meilahti during 2017. NC hosts state-of-art for imaging facility including three multiphoton microscopes for fast scanning 3D brain imaging and optogenetic stimulation in fish and awake rodents, as well as behavioural facilities for mouse and zebrafish and a neuronal cell culture unit.
Qualified candidates will be visionary scientific leaders of international stature and with a strong track record of innovative research in neurosciences, and with merits in building interdisciplinary academic research in a highly collaborative environment.
The Neuroscience Center Director will
- Be responsible for development of NC, including producing and implementing a vision for future scientific growth as well as the recruitment of a new generation of outstanding and highly interactive researchers
- Lead her/his own research group
- Foster new collaborations including ones at the University of Helsinki and HiLIFE
The anticipated start date is January 2018 or earlier. The position is initially for five years with a possibility of renewal, and associated with funding for the group and a startup package when appropriate. The salary is negotiable within the salary system of Finnish universities.
The successful candidate will
- Hold an appropriate doctoral degree
- Have an outstanding record of scientific discoveries and success in obtaining funding
- Present a clear vision of future directions in neuroscience research
- Demonstrate successful leadership of international and diverse teams
- Show a commitment to fostering excellence in scientific research and research training
Applications are welcome until August 14, 2017, and the nomination may be made at any point when a suitable candidate is identified. For further information or proposals for nominations please contact HiLIFE Director Tomi Mäkelä by email email@example.com, or by phone +358 2941 25500.
Applications are submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single pdf file with
- your vision for the development of the Neuroscience Center
- your research plan (max 5 pages)
- your CV (max 4 pages including biosketch)
- a list of not more than 10 selected publications with motivation for selecting each
- a link or reference (e.g. ORCID) to a complete list of publications