HiLIFE is seeking a Director of the Institute of Biotechnology. The Institute of Biotechnology (BI) is at the forefront of molecular biology research with eight ERC grantees, and has a strong focus in biotechnology through developing new strategies e.g. to combat neurodegenerative and metabolic diseases. Current research programs at the BI are in Cell and Molecular Biology, Developmental Biology, Genome Biology, and Structural Biology and Biophysics. BI is an international, competitive and rewarding workplace, where the staff within the 25 research groups and 7 core facilities exceeds 250 and comes from 30 different countries.
Director, Institute of Biotechnology
Qualified candidates will be visionary scientific leaders of international stature and with a strong track record of innovative research in relevant areas, and with merits in building interdisciplinary academic research in a highly collaborative environment.
The Institute of Biotechnology Director will
- Be responsible for development of the institute, including producing and implementing a vision for future scientific growth as well as the recruitment of a new generation of outstanding and highly interactive researchers
- Lead her/his own research group
- Foster new collaborations including ones at the University of Helsinki and HiLIFE
The anticipated start date is January 2018 or earlier. The position is initially for five years with a possibility of renewal, and associated with funding for the group and a startup package when appropriate. The salary is negotiable within the salary system of Finnish universities.
The successful candidate will
- Hold an appropriate doctoral degree
- Have an outstanding record of scientific discoveries and success in obtaining funding
- Present a clear vision of future directions in relevant research areas
- Demonstrate successful leadership of international and diverse teams
- Show a commitment to fostering excellence in scientific research and research training
Applications are welcome until August 14, 2017, and the nomination may be made at any point when a suitable candidate is identified. For further information or proposals for nominations please contact HiLIFE Director Tomi Mäkelä by email email@example.com, or by phone +358 2941 25500.
Applications are submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single pdf file with
- your vision for the development of the Institute of Biotechnology
- your research plan (max 5 pages)
- your CV (max 4 pages including biosketch)
- a list of not more than 10 selected publications with motivation for selecting each
- a link or reference (e.g. ORCID) to a complete list of publications