Research to Business Funding

Be part of the next Research to Business Funding call in Spring 2023!

Find all information, relevant for the Spring call 2023, on Flamma intranet.

Where can you find the funds for commercialising your work?

The most important ideas often arise during long-term basic research. Because the commercial value of such ideas depends on how well they meet market demand, interaction with companies and other partners is vital. This is where we can help you – you do not have to do everything on your own.

Preparation for research commercialisation requires funding

When preparing to commercialise an invention, additional research and testing, as well as intellectual property right (IPR) protection, are often the key. Business Finland's Research to Business (R2B) funding instrument, which is open for applications twice a year, offers preparatory funding for commercialising the results of academic research.

General information about the funding instrument can be found on Business Finland's website.

The objectives of a BF Research to Business funded project include among other things

  • the identification of the target market for the idea or invention, and
  • the verification of its commercial viability with, for example, a prototype or pilot.

Compared to many other forms of funding, Research to Business funding enables testing the applicability of, and interest in, the idea or invention within an industry or business context in a comparatively risk-free manner before the product or service takes on its final form.

R2B Funding requirements
  • R2B projects are typically funded for 1 or 2 years which usually gives enough time to prepare the commercialisation of the invention.
  • Business Finland provides 70% of the total funding, while the remaining 30% comes from the applicant’s unit (faculty or institute) at the University of Helsinki.
  • All project-related intellectual property rights (IPR) must be owned by theniversity/research organization the applying team is affiliated with.
  • R2B projects consist of two major parts: Activities for research and activities for commercialisation. At least 40% of the funding must be used for commercialisation activities while maximum 60% of the funding goes to research & development activities.
  • The applying team must recruit a “commercial champion” (CC) who will lead the project’s commercialisation activities.

According to Business Finland’s policy, the research commercialisation unit of the university coordinates the application process with Business Finland. At the University of Helsinki, Helsinki Innovation Services (HIS) coordinates and supports all UH applicants during the application process, as well as throughout the full lifetime of a funded R2B project. All applicants will receive hands-on support by HIS team members throughout the entire application process.

The application process

The steps listed below will guide you through the application process:
Find a detailed version of this process including funding call specific information here on Flamma.

  1. Sign up for Research to Business (R2B) Funding Coaching
    UH applicants will receive R2B Funding Coaching organised by the HIS team. The coaching aims to strongly increase the likelihood of receiving a positive funding decision.
  2. Research to Business (R2B) Funding Coaching
    The R2B Funding Coaching (formerly known as NABC training) will be organised by HIS. The coaching aims to develop the commercial potential of the projects towards the BF pitching and the preparation of a successful funding application. R2B Funding Coaching sessions are organised in January (for the spring call) and in August (for the fall call).
  3. Pitch your invention to Business Finland
    During the coaching, applying teams will learn to build a solid project application which includes a mandatory sales pitch to BF representatives. Based on BF judgement, successful cases will be further invited to submit a written application.
  4. Submit your written application
    The actual funding application is submitted via the Business Finland Online Services. The application period closes approximately in mid-March (spring call) or mid-September (fall call).
  5. Receive your funding decision
    Funding decisions are usually made in May (for spring call) and December (for fall call).

Please contact the HIS team if you have any questions about the BF R2B funding. HIS is here to support the commercialisation and IP of University of Helsinki inventions.