Health insurance and students

Health insurance is one of the obligatory requirements you will need for obtaining a residence permit for studies. Your health insurance must be valid upon your entry to Finland and your residence permit will only be valid for as long as the health insurance that you buy.  Also when applying for an extension for your residence permit, you must have valid health insurance. More information about what kind of an insurance you need is available on the Finnish Immigration Service's (MIGRI) website.

Citizens of third-countries

If you are a citizen of a third-country, i.e. you are not a citizen of one of the EU countries or a citizen of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, and you arrive in Finland for the purpose of studying, then you are required to have health insurance, if the period of study lasts for more than three months. The requirement is the same for degree-seeking and for visiting/exchange students. Students from Quebec (Canada) are also exempted from the health insurance requirement.

  • Third-country nationals studying in Finland for less than two years must have private insurance which covers the cost of medical treatment up to 100 000 euro. The reason for this is that these students are usually not granted the right of domicile, i.e. a home municipality in Finland, and therefore are not entitled to municipal health care services.
  • Third-country nationals studying in Finland for at least two years must have private insurance which covers the cost of medical treatment up to 30 000 euro (primarily medication costs). A student who studies for at least two years is usually granted the right to domicile, i.e. a home municipality in Finland and is therefore entitled to municipal health care services.
  • In both the above mentioned cases the insurance deductible must not exceed 300 euros.

MARSH Student Insurance Package (SIP)

We have partnered with the Student Insurance Package (SIP) provider MARSH and are able to recommend this insurance package that is pre-approved by the Finnish Immigration Service. This pre-approval will result in a quicker decision on your application. For more detailed information about the type of coverage you will need and its cost, please visit the insurance providers website. Any questions about this insurance should be directed to the insurance provider.

Please pay special attention to which insurance option you need.

  • SIP integral is designed for students who are citizens of third countries
  • SIP complement is especially designed for students who have a European Health Insurance Card

Getting insufficient insurance cover may result in a delay in getting your residence permit on time. For example, all exchange students and visiting students who apply for a residence permit to Finland need coverage similar to what SIP integral offers.

With any questions related to whether your insurance is sufficient, please contact the Finnish immigration officials directly.

There are also other international insurance companies that offer health insurance policies; check their websites for details and contact them directly for further information on prices and coverage.

Please note that SIP MARSH does not cover injuries caused by winter sports / sports in general.

European Health Insurance Card

For all European citizens, the European Health Insurance Card is a necessity: it simplifies the procedures for any medical assistance needed during your temporary stay in Finland.

Important – the European Health Insurance Card:

  • is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property,
  • does not guarantee free services. As each country's healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.

Finnish National Sickness Insurance

The Finnish National Sickness Insurance (NSI), administered by the organisation KELA, does not cover international students. If you are not insured by a corresponding insurance system from your home country, you should obtain insurance from a private insurance company. You are strongly advised to purchase good medical and accident insurance for you before your arrival at the University of Helsinki and Finland in general.

Finnish Student Health Service

Please note that the right to use Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS) does not exempt you from having to take out health insurance.

Back to the Before arrival website >>