Aalto University and the University of Helsinki are looking for a proven leader to be the next
Director of Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT.
HIIT is a joint research institute of Aalto University and the University of Helsinki. The institute conducts world-class research on information technology ranging from fundamental methods and technologies to novel applications and their impact on people and society. HIIT is a multinational and multidisciplinary community of approximately 300 researchers and has an annual budget of around EUR 19 million, of which over 85% competitive funding. HIIT has established partnerships with several leading international and Finnish companies as well as with universities and research institutes worldwide.
The position will be a shared position between the universities for a fixed term up to five years, starting August 1st, 2020. The appointment is renewable.
The director works in close co-operation with HIIT’s Board of Directors, the strategic decision-making body of the institute. The responsibilities include the following:
- Developing and implementing the institute’s strategy
- Taking responsibility for HIIT’s budget and finances as well as preparing the agenda for HIIT Board
- Heading the staff of HIIT and leading the recruitment of new staff
- Interacting with funding agencies, institutions and corporations
- Strengthening the institute’s relationships with partners and other stakeholders globally as well as in Finland
- Developing the research excellence in co-operation with HIIT's parent universities
- Carrying out scientific research in a core area of HIIT and teaching at the doctoral level
We are looking for an internationally recognized leader and researcher in the field of computer science who has demonstrated a deep and broad understanding of computer science and information technology – of their applications and impact on users and society. An ideal candidate is a visionary strategist and a sophisticated communicator with a proven ability to:
- Lead and manage a team of highly skilled research professionals
- Create and articulate management processes and show leadership
- Attract, lead and inspire a diverse group of talented researchers in a multicultural environment, both on-site and from afar
- Influence stakeholders, including leaders and technologists in industry, society as well as in academia
- Promote co-operation with companies, research institutes and universities at international level
A Doctoral degree is a requirement for the position. Knowledge of the parent universities is considered as an asset.
How to apply?
Candidates interested in the position are asked to fill in a short application form (CV as an attachment) through the link below by 20 December 2019. More detailed application documents will be requested only from the short-listed applicants in the beginning of January 2020.
Application form: https://rekry.saima.fi/aaltohome/aew.html?did=5900&lang=fi&job_id=2619&jc=6
While all candidates who have applied by the deadline will be appropriately considered, Aalto University and the University of Helsinki reserve the right to consider also other candidates for the announced position.
- Director, Confederation of Finnish Industries, Riikka Heikinheimo, Member of the HIIT Board, Head of the recruitment committee (email@example.com, tel. +358 46 922 9692)
- Professor Lauri Savioja, Head of the Department of Computer Science at Aalto University (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Professor Sasu Tarkoma, Head of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Helsinki (email@example.com)