The right to complete a doctoral degree is granted for a major subject and a doctoral programme. Applications can be submitted twice a year. In 2017, the application deadlines are 31 March and 14 September.
Applications can be submitted within two weeks of the application deadline - application information will be updated in the beginning of August, so please, check practical instructions carefully closer to the deadline. The application form is electronic, and the required documents must be submitted as attachments to it. Official copies of diplomas and certificates must be submitted also by mail to the Admission Services by the application deadline.
These instructions apply to applications for the right to complete a doctoral degree within a specific doctoral programme, not to applications for salaried doctoral student positions or other funding.
Before submitting an application, applicants must contact teachers in the suitable field of science to receive instructions concerning the suitability of their research proposal for supervisory and research profile in the field of science (no supervisory assistance can otherwise be offered for the research proposal). Teachers’ email addresses can be found under each doctoral programme supervision information. Email messages sent to teachers must be accompanied by a preliminary research proposal (max. 5 pages).
Applicants for the right to complete doctoral studies on the major subject for which the prospective student is applying and the planned topic of the dissertation. For the criteria of admission, please see the section above, Eligibility for postgraduate studies.
The right to complete a doctoral degree must be requested using an electronic application form, to which the required documents are attached as a single PDF file named according to the applicant in the format Lastname_Firstname.pdf.
Documents required of all applicants to be attached to the electronic form:
1. An electronic application form (available from 1 September 2017 until the application deadline of 14 September 2017)
2. A preliminary research proposal (max. 5 pages) for the doctoral dissertation; admitted postgraduate students are assigned a primary supervisor based on the proposal. The reseach plan is recommended to follow this instruction.
3. An abstract of the Master’s thesis
Applicants who have not completed their Master’s degree at the University of Helsinki, Faculty of Social Sciences must also enclose the following documents with their application:
4. A certificate of proficiency in Finnish, Swedish or English if the applicant completed his or her Master’s degree in a country other than Finland; sufficient language proficiency can be demonstrated with proof of previous education or a standardised language test (see instructions for demonstrating sufficient skills in Finnish or Swedish and English). Please note, that the original standardised language test must be sent by mail to the Admission Services by the application deadline. See the postal address below.
5. An official diploma copy of a previously completed degree (Master’s degree or second-cycle degree from a university of applied sciences) based on which the applicant is requesting the right to complete a doctoral degree; the diploma must be attached to the electronic application, in addition to which an official copy of the diploma (see below) must be sent by mail to the Admission Services by the application deadline. See the postal address below.
6. A transcript of studies for the degree in question or another report on studies included in the Master’s degree; in addition, an official copy of the transcript or report (see below) must be sent by mail to the Admission Services by the application deadline. See the postal address below.
NOTE! The documents 4-6 listed (= official copies of a degree diploma and a transcript fo studies and an original language proficiency test) must be posted via regular mail to the Admission Services.
Copies of the official diploma and transcript must be stamped and signed by an official who is entitled to certify documents, such as an officer from the awarding institution, a notary public or other applicable official. Copies certified in another manner are not accepted. All translations must be by authorised translators.
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
You can contact the Faculty’s education planning officer if you have questions about the following:
- Admission to postgraduate studies
- Postgraduate degree requirements
- Doctoral dissertations and Licentiate theses
- Postgraduate study monitoring and readmission
Contact be e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org