The field of the Department of Geosciences and Geography is the whole globe, from the glaciers of Antarctis to the hustle and bustle of cities. The department consists of the following divisions, institutes, and research stations:
- Division of Biogeoscience
- Division of Geology and Geophysics
- Division of Geography of regions, cities, the environment and planning
- Institute of Seismology
- Helsinki Institute of Urban and Regional Studies (KATI)
- The TAITA research station
The object of study at the department is Earth and how it changes with time. This is studied via the differentiation of cities and states, longterm environmental change, the movement of continental plates, and the structures and evolution of Earth. Top research is carried out in state-of-the-art science laboratories, field stations, observatories, and in the field and cities, in cooperation with national and international research groups.
We wish to welcome you to the Department of Geosciences and Geography!