Graduation and licensing

Students who have completed the studies required for their degree must submit a diploma request form to Viikki Student Services.

Students who intend to graduate must be registered for attendance. Students who have lost their right to study must apply for its reinstatement before registering for attendance.

The diploma request form and instructions concerning graduation are available on the Faculty’s Flamma site.

To receive the right to practise the profession of pharmacist or head dispenser in Finland and to be licensed as a pharmaceutical dispenser or pharmacist in the central register maintained by the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health (Valvira), the degree holder must present a diploma concerning the relevant degree to Valvira.  

In practice, the degree holder must submit to Valvira the official copy accompanying the diploma as well as an extract from the population register and the application available for printing on the Valvira website. These documents can be delivered in person, by proxy or by certified mail. Valvira sends its decision as a COD (cash on delivery) item by mail.

The National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health (Valvira) decides on applications for the right to practise as a licensed dispenser or pharmacist.

Applicants who have completed their degree outside Finland must submit an application to Valvira to be licensed to practice the profession of dispenser or pharmacist. The Faculty of Pharmacy provides an assessment on the equivalence of degrees completed outside Finland only for applications received through Valvira.

The criterion for assessing the equivalence of such degrees is that they have been completed at a university or institute of higher education.

More information about the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health, tel. 0295 209 111 (exchange).

Usually the applicants are required to complete supplementary studies to ensure sufficient knowledge and skills. Such applicants must apply for the right to complete the required studies as non-degree studies. The criterion for the right to complete non-degree studies is that the applicant has sufficient proficiency in Finnish or Swedish. The required language skills can be demonstrated with the following certificates:

  • National Certificate of Language Proficiency: Skills level 4 in all four subtests
  • Civil Service Language Proficiency Certificate: Skills level ‘Good’ in the oral and written skills tests
  • University of Helsinki Language Services test: Average: skills level 4

Applications for non-degree studies must be accompanied by one of the above-mentioned language certificates. Statements by individual language teachers on an applicant’s language skills are unacceptable, as they cannot be compared with standardised language tests. In addition, applicants should note that some of the literature used in studies may be in English.

Those pursuing the status of a licensed dispenser or pharmacist must pay the following fees for their non-degree studies:

  • Applicants for the status of a licensed dispenser: 500 euros
  • Applicants for the status of a licensed pharmacist: 750 euros