The education reform will make changes to degree requirements at the university of Helsinki. August 1st, 2017 onward the doctoral studies will consist of Displine-Specific Studies (30 cr), General Competence Studies (10 cr) and Dissertation. Please see the curricula of PsyCo and SEDUCE in WebOodi.
Those who have been accepted to the doctoral programme earlier, can still continue their studies within old system. There will be three year transition period, until 31.7.2020.
If you will complete your PhD degree before 31.7.2020, it is, as a rule, recommended to complete the studies according to the old degree requirements.
See transition rules in SEDUCE and PsyCo.
In short: what will change?
- The studies are divided into two modules: Discipline-Specific Studies (30 credits) and General Competence Skills (10 credits). The recommended scope of a doctoral dissertation will not change.
- The new degree structure no longer has major subjects, but the degree is carried out in a Doctoral Programme
- You can not include 10 or more years older studies in your degree. Courses and modules will be valid until the end of the term in which the expiry date falls.
- The degree awarded in the degree program can only include the amount of studies that is stipulated for the extent of the degree in question, plus 10%. This means that you can only include maximum 44 credits in your doctoral degree
- Studies included in a first- or second-cycle degree completed at a university or a university of applied sciences cannot be included in a third-cycle (postgraduate) degree at the University of Helsinki. The transfer of credits for other studies must be discussed with the supervisor.
How to transfer?
- Acquaint yourself with the rules of transferring (see transition rules in SEDUCE and PsyCo) .
- Acquaint yourself with the new degree requirements of your doctoral programme in WebOodi.
- Discuss transferring with your supervisor and draw up an updated study plan together with your supervisor, taking into account the inclusion of old studies into the new degree requirements as well as completing the remaining studies in accordance with the new degree requirements. You need not submit the study plan to the Faculty, but it’s important that you draw one up to make sure you have fully understood how transferring will affect your studies.
- Let us know of your decision to transfer by filling out an e-form that can be found in Flamma. Submitting the e-form is a binding agreement and cannot be cancelled.
If you and/or your supervisor have questions related to transferring, please contact edu-research(at)helsinki.fi