When you wish to graduate as a Bachelor or Master, please follow the instructions below. Instructions for doctoral or Licentiate graduates (in Finnish only) can be found on the Faculty’s postgraduate education page.
- Verify that you are registered as an attending student at the University. You must be registered as an attending student to have your completed credits (including the Master’s thesis) entered in the Student Register. The degree diploma may also be awarded to students registered as non-attending students if all their required credits have been registered during the previous term in the Student Register.
- Verify that all your completed credits have been entered in the Student Register. Any missing or incorrect information must be rectified at the Viikki student services. Master’s theses are entered in the register the day after the relevant Faculty Council meeting.
- Verify that you have applied for the entry of the required study modules in the Student Register:
- basic studies in the major subject
- intermediate studies in the major subject
- at least one minor subject module
- other studies –study module
- advanced studies in the major subject
- other studies –study module
- for students accepted to the Master’s programme through a Master’s admission process, any supplementary study module(s)
The study module Other studies must include the studies in the degree requirements which are not included in Bachelor’s Degree in basic-, intermediate and minor subject studies. In Master’s Degree they are other studies in degree requirements which are not included in the advanced studies. In the Bachelor’s degree these studies include the personal study plan, ICT-driving license, language studies, general studies and optional studies. In the Master’s degree these studies include the personal study plan, general studies and optional studies.
For the registration of study module, please submit the study module form to be approved by the professor in charge of the module in question or the person to whom he/she has authorized. The professor in charge verifies that all required credits have been completed and submits the details to be registered. Other studies –study module must be submitted either to the professor in charge of the module in question, to the student adviser for the major subject or an education planning officer.
Verify that you have completed the minimum required number of credits (180 cr for a Bachelor’s degree and 120 cr for a Master’s degree).
4. When all the study modules are registered, please fill in the diploma application form and submit it to
Viikki Student Services at Korona Info centre, third floor
Viikinkaari 11 (PB 62), 00014 University of Helsinki or
enclosed by e-mail to the address Viikkifirstname.lastname@example.org
You can also submit the diploma application form to Infocenter’s Viikki student mailbox on the third floor.
NB! Bachelor’s graduates: The national student feedback survey Kandipalaute is a part of graduation. You must respond to the survey in order to receive the Bachelor’s degree diploma. The survey does not pertain to Master’s graduates.
When the student service has received the diploma application you will automatically receive an email with a link to the survey. You must respond to the survey in order to receive the degree diploma.
Sign the diploma application.
If you have got a decision for example exemption from completing studies in the second national language of Finland, send the decision of it.
5. Verify with your major subject the number of printed copies of your Master’s thesis (if any) and their distribution requirements. If you need printed copies, the department will pay for some of the printing costs.