The Aleksanteri Institute is a national centre in the field of Russian and Eastern European studies under the auspices of the University of Helsinki. It promotes research, teaching and expertise concerning Russia and Eastern Europe, particularly in social sciences and the humanities.
Research activities at the Aleksanteri Institute are conducted in six focus areas that have been selected on the basis of the research needs of the target countries and analyses of their future challenges, as well as the utilisation of expertise within the institute. Each focus area is approached through the following broad multidisciplinary research programmes comprised of one or more research projects.
- Political system: regimes, governance, and law
- Culture, values, and intellectual histories
- Climate change and environment
- Transnational security
- Innovations and drivers of economic development
- Social stratification, inequality and welfare policy
The Aleksanteri Institute also has an international Master’s Programme in Russian Studies.
Aleksanteri Institute’s website