The mission of the University of Helsinki Ethical Review Board in the Humanities and Social and Behavioural Sciences is to ensure the ethical review of research conducted in the human, non-medical sciences at the University of Helsinki and, through statements and actions, steer the ethical development of research in the human sciences by, for example, monitoring and coordinating training in research ethics. The Ethical Review Board also provides consultation in matters related to research ethics and offers advice for solving research ethics problems. The Ethical Review Board abides by the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity for the ethical principles of research in the humanities, the social and behavioural sciences, and proposals for ethical review in these fields.
Members of the Board during the term 2018 – 2021
Professor Erika Löfström
Riikka Palonkorpi, Senior Advisor in Research Administration
Members (deputy member in parenthesis)
- Postdoctoral Researcher Ida Koivisto (MLL, doctoral candidate Kristian Wohlström)
- University lecturer Salla Kurhila (Professor Jan Lindström)
- Postdoctoral researcher Marius Lahti-Pulkkinen (adjunct professor Jussi Saarinen)
- University lecturer Aili Pyhälä (Postdoctoral researcher Karoliina Snell)
- University lecturer Raisa Valve (University lecturer Riitta Freese)
- Professor Auli Vähäkangas (postdoctoral researcher Anna Sofia Salonen)
- Doctoral candidate Katja Tikka (Doctoral candidate Ilja Kokkonen)
The Ethical Review Board meetings scheduled for 2018 are as follows:
- February 8, 2018
- March 6, 2018
- April 13, 2018
- May 9, 2018
- June 15, 2018
- September 3, 2018
Ethical Review Board has a summer break between June 21 and July 30, 2018.
Instructions for researchers
Researchers are requested to study the Ethical principles of research in the humanities and social and behavioural sciences issued by the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity. Requests for statements that applicants wish to submit for processing in the Ethical Review Board meetings must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The documents must be sent as one PDF document no later than two weeks before the meeting in question. If the Ethical Review Board finds that the research meets the ethical requirements set for research in the human sciences, its statement will be emailed to the applicant within two weeks of the meeting where the request was discussed.