Are you considering a student exchange at the University of Helsinki or have you already been nominated by your home university? University of Helsinki takes part in several exchange programmes like Erasmus, Nordplus, ISEP, EuroScholars and North2North. Each year we welcome about 1000 exchange students from our partner universities! See more on the Exchange studies website

Helsinki Summer School (HSS) is a three-week academic event organised every August by the University of Helsinki. Each year HSS gives advanced degree students from over 60 countries an unforgettable experience that combines high academic studies with a wide range of cultural and social activities. The language of study is English and the credits are transferable.

You can apply for non-degree (non-graduate) studies:

  • If you already have a degree from a higher education institution and you want to take supplementary courses as an extension to your current degree
  • If you need to acquire qualifications required for certain professions

In practice, the right to pursue non-degree studies can only be granted to persons living in Finland. Non-degree studies are liable to charges. Each faculty of the University of Helsinki has its own individual application procedure regarding these type of studies:

The Bachelor’s Programme in the Languages and Literatures of Finland offers free Finnish language courses for exchange, visiting and international degree students enrolled at the University of Helsinki. Teaching is offered on three campuses: City centre, Viikki and Kumpula.

Language Centre provides language courses for students at the University of Helsinki. Language Centre's Language Services offer fee-based open enrolment Finnish language courses. You do not need to be enrolled as a student at the University of Helsinki to participate in these courses.

The Open University provides anyone an opportunity to study university studies, regardless of age or educational background. The Open University offers the latest information for maintaining professional skills, support for launching a new career, the possibility to explore different disciplines and the joy of learning.

The majority of courses are offered in Finnish and Swedish only.

The University of Helsinki does not have a central recruitment unit. The best way to find placement is to contact interesting units directly. Very few placements are announced publicly, so you should seek out interesting employers and discuss about internship possibilities. Make a good CV in good English and contact employers directly. The Finnish Academic Career Services network has built a website called Aarresaari concerning how to apply for a job in Finland. The Career Services' list of tips for job hunting is available on the Career services page. If you have a student status at your home institution and you receive credit for your traineeship, you can apply for the visiting student status.

All Finnish universities are parties to the Flexible Study Right (JOO) Agreement that enables undergraduate and postgraduate students to include studies completed at other Finnish universities in their degrees free of charge. Students must register as attending students at their home university to apply for the flexible study right and to complete studies at another university.

The flexible study right scheme aims to expand the course selection of the students’ home university, to increase study options and to support the smooth progress of studies. For students, the flexible study right scheme provides an opportunity to include in their degrees relevant studies taught by other universities as well as to make use of experts and specialist fields of other universities.

Ap­plic­a­tion pro­ced­ure