FAQ tuition fees and scholarships

Tuition fees kuva




Who is required to pay tuition fees at the University of Helsinki?

The student is legally liable to pay tuition fees at the University of Helsinki:

1) If he/she is not a citizen of a European Union/European Economic Area country or Switzerland OR does not have permanent residence status in Finland:

  • a continuous or permanent residence card in Finland
  • a long-term resident’s EU residence permit in Finland (type P-EU permit)
  • an EU blue card in Finland
  • a residence card for a family member of an EU citizen in Finland.


2) If the degree programme is taught in English; and

3) If the study right for the degree was awarded in 2017 or later; and

4) If the degree programme leads to a master’s or bachelor’s level degree.

Find more information on citizenship and residence permits.

Students are themselves responsible for demonstrating that they are not liable to pay tuition fees. See instructions on required ap­plic­a­tion en­clos­ures for mas­ter’s pro­grammes.

I have a residence permit stating that I'm not liable to pay the tuition fee. When it must be valid?

Documents stating that a student is not liable to pay tuition fees must be valid when the semester starts on 1 August 2020. If your document is valid e.g. until October 2020, you are not liable to pay the tuition fee for the fall term. If your document is valid e.g. until March 2021, you are not liable to pay the fee for the spring term either.

I have dual citizenship (non EU/EEA and EU/EEA), am I liable to pay tuition fees?

If you have dual citizenship (EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA) you are not liable to pay tuition fees. When you have submitted your application and you are sending the required educational documents, please attach a copy of your passport indicating your EU citizenship. Please also fill your EU/EEA citizenship when submitting the application. Dual EU/EEA and non EU/EEA citizens cannot apply for a University of Helsinki scholarship as they are not liable to pay tuition fees.

The liability to pay tuition fees depends on citizenship, not the origin of your previous degree. Please visit studyinfo.fi for more information.

I am a tuition-fee liable admitted Student. How does the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation affect the tuition fees and scholarships?

Please check the latest information on the effects of coronavirus from Instructions for Students.

Impact of Brexit on tuition fees

During the transition period the UK students are not liable to the tuition fees. The transition period ends 31 December 2020. Regrettably at the moment we don’t have information on the content of the Brexit agreement regarding the tuition fees for UK students after the transition period.  As soon as we have more information we will inform about it in this page.

How much is the tuition fee?

At the University of Helsinki, the tuition fee is 13, 000, 15 000 or 18 000 euros per academic year, depending on the academic field of the degree programme. More detailed information on the amount of the fees can be found on Degree Finder.

Can the University increase the tuition fee for the second year?

No, the annual tuition fee is fixed in the year of entry.

When is the tuition fee due?

Applicants receive information on the results of their application for a study place and scholarship in the middle of April at the latest. Instructions on how to pay the tuition fee will be sent to you right after you have been admitted to a degree programme.

The deadline for tuition fee payment is 31 August 2020. If you are applying for a residence permit, but have not yet paid the tuition fee, please make sure you have sufficient funds to cover the tuition fee and living expenses in Finland according to the Finnish Migration Services instructions: https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-application-for-studies.   

Please remember to start the process for obtaining a residence permit as soon as possible. 

  • The best housing offers are available to those who react quickly.

How can I pay the tuition fee?

The tuition fee is paid by using an invoice. The payment can be completed by the applicant herself/himself or by a third-party by using the given reference number.

Is it possible to pay the tuition fee in two or more instalments?

The tuition fee must be paid as a single instalment for the following academic year.

Can I start my studies if I have not paid the tuition fee?

If you don’t pay the required tuition fee, you are not able to begin your studies at the University. Admitted applicants or students cannot register as attending before they have paid their tuition fee. Only attending students can attend classes and complete studies.

Am I able to postpone the beginning of my studies by one year?

You can register as non-attending only in situations specified in section 39 of the Universities Act,

if you are:

  • Completing Finnish military service, non-military service, or voluntary military service for women;
  • On maternity, paternity or parental leave; or
  • Unable to begin studies owing to a medical condition.

I am a tuition fee-liable student and I have deferred my admission. How should I proceed in order to begin my studies?

  • If you have enrolled as non-attending student for the academic year 2020-21, you can change your status from non-attendance to attendance at any time during the academic year by paying the tuition fee. Please contact your degree programme before registering as an attending student to make sure when it’s possible to start your studies.
  • In case you did not complete the annual registration and intend to begin your studies during the academic year 2020-21, you have to pay the tuition fees and need not to to apply to your faculty for the reinstatement of your right to study: https://studies.helsinki.fi/instructions/article/annual-registration  Please contact your degree programme before registering as an attending student to make sure when it’s possible to start your studies.
  • In case you intend to begin your studies from the fall semester 2021, please see the instructions for recommencing studies after a break: https://studies.helsinki.fi/instructions/article/recommencing-studies-af...  Please note that you should only apply for the recommencing of studies when the annual registration period has begun (1 May 2021). Please contact your degree programme before applying for the recommencing of studies. You need to pay the tuition fee in order to enroll as an attending student: https://studies.helsinki.fi/instructions/article/tuitionfees
  • In case you have paid the tuition fee (or awarded the tuition fee covering scholarship from the University of Helsinki’s scholarship programme) and it has been transferred to concern the academic year 2021-22, please contact the Admission services when you wish to register as an attending student

I was granted a study place in a master’s degree programme before the introduction of tuition fees (2016) but have postponed the beginning of studies and registered as a non-attending student for the academic year 2016-2017. Am I required to pay the tuition fee?

The tuition fee applies to non-EU/EEA students who have not registered as attending before autumn semester 2017. If you have not completed any credits during the academic year 2016-2017, but are registered as an “attending student”, you are exempted from the tuition fee.

May I complete more than 120 credits in two years?

Yes, there are no limitations on the number of credits a student may complete while he/she is registered as an “attending” student. Just make sure that you take all the compulsory courses for the degree programme. In addition, in most faculties, you may include these extra courses in your degree as optional studies or selective studies.

What if I do not graduate and receive my degree in two years? How long can I study? Do I have to pay tuition fees for the following years in order to graduate?

You are entitled to complete the master’s degree within the target duration plus two additional years. If you fail to graduate within two years of study, you can register as attending for the following autumn term, in which case you must pay half of the tuition fee. The fee will be charged by term until you have completed the degree.

Besides tuition fees, what additional costs do I have to pay?

Besides tuition fees, make sure that you have sufficient financial means for your living costs such as rent, personal expenses, transportation costs, meals, insurance, etc. Please also remember that an income requirement by the Finnish Immigration Service may apply to you.

The tuition fee includes the compulsory Student Union (HYY) membership. HYY provides substantial benefits and services, advocacy work and events throughout the year. As a Student Union (HYY) member, you are entitled to a significant student meal discount in Unicafe student restaurants and reductions on public transport. You are also provided with free or highly affordable general, mental and oral health care services by the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS). Please remember to check that you have valid health insurance since the FSHS only provides basic healthcare services and does not, for example, perform extensive medical operations nor does it have its own accident and emergency service.

The University of Helsinki has a housing quota especially for tuition fee-liable international degree students moving to Finland.

Are there some other payments or fees involved with the studies?

The tuition fee includes teaching and access to the newest learning facilities. The services provided to students by the University are free. You have access to the library, Student Services, Career Services and Exchange Services and other kinds of support for your studies.

How about refunds and withdrawals?

The tuition fee will be reimbursed if:

  • You are conditionally admitted and you fail to meet the conditions for admission before the deadline;
  • Your application for a residence permit is rejected;
  • Your residence permit status changes before 1 August so that you are no longer liable to pay tuition fees; or
  • The degree programme is not offered or a force majeure event occurs.

Tuition fees are reimbursed per academic year or academic term. Please see the instructions for students for more information about reimbursements during your studies.

What if my residence or citizenship status changes during my studies?

Changes to residence or citizenship status during studies will be considered as follows:

1) If the change of status means that you are no longer liable to pay tuition fees, any fees covering the time after the change will be reimbursed as of the following term.

2) If your status changes so that you become liable to pay tuition fees, the liability will begin as of the following term.

3) If you have received a Scholarship from the University of Helsinki Scholarship programme and your status changes so that you are no longer tuition fee-liable student, you are no longer eligible for the scholarship, as the Scholarship programme is only for tuition fee-liable students.

You must inform the University about any changes to your residence or citizenship status.

Changes to the liability to pay tuition fees will come into effect as of the beginning of the term following the change of status. In cases of such a change, the tuition fee will be divided into two terms so that one term equals half the tuition fee.

Your residence or citizenship status may change for example if you get married to a Finnish citizen and have a residence card for a family member of an EU citizen in Finland. For more information, please visit Studyinfo.

If you expect that your residence permit status is about to change and if you are not sure how this would effect your liability to pay the tuition fees, please contact admission services.



What are the general conditions for a scholarship awarded by the University of Helsinki?

The scholarships are awarded to the best students on the grounds of academic overall assessment according to the general master’s degree entrance requirements, academic excellence and success in previous studies and motivation to study in a master’s programme at the University of Helsinki.

I come from an EU/EEA country, can I apply for a scholarship?

No, the scholarships are for students from outside the EU/EEA who pay tuition fees. Please check other available scholarship options.

When do I know if I have been awarded a scholarship?

Every scholarship applicant receives information on the scholarship together with the letter of acceptance.

Does the scholarship cover the complete two-year study period for a degree?

The scholarships are granted for two years. However, in order to receive the grant for the second year, you are required to complete at least 55 credits in your first study year.

I have not been granted a scholarship for the first academic year, is it possible to apply for a scholarship for the second academic year?

Even if you were not granted a scholarship for the first academic year, you can apply for a Second  Year Study Grant. The application period will be before the end of your first study year. In this case, the scholarship is awarded on the grounds of academic success during your first year of study.

There are also other scholarship possibilities for all degree students of the University of Helsinki.

How much are the scholarships?

The exact amount of the scholarship depends on the amount of tuition fees charged by the master’s programme. The tuition fees range from 13 000–18 000 euros. Scholarships are awarded for two years.

The scholarship categories are:

  • Fully Funded Grant: The amount of the whole tuition fee (13,000 or 15,000 or 18,000 euros) and 10,000 euros per academic year;
  • Full Tuition Fee Grant: The amount of the whole tuition fee (13,000 or 15,000 or 18,000 euros)

For additional information, please visit the scholarships programme webpage.

How do I apply for scholarships?

Applying is very easy: The online application form for master’s degrees includes questions related to the scholarships. Your answers to these questions will be considered your scholarship application. You can only submit your scholarship application through the online application form at the same time as you apply for the degree programme. You may receive a scholarship only in a category you have applied for, but you can apply for more than one scholarship category.

The possible scholarship-related documents should be delivered with the other enclosed documents of your degree application. More information about the ap­plic­a­tion and se­lec­tion pro­cess.

Is it possible to apply for both the programme and the scholarship with the transcript of my academic record and proof of future graduation and to submit my diploma after the application deadline?

Yes, students who are in their last term or semester of their bachelor’s studies can also apply. You may be granted admission to a programme on the condition that you submit the final degree certificate and transcript to the Admission Services after graduation. If the degree serving as grounds of application to the programme is still incomplete, you need not submit a degree certificate/diploma with the application documents. If you are admitted, the admission decision will be conditional, and you will receive instructions with your letter of admission for submitting the official degree certificate/diploma. NB! The final degree certificate/diploma must be presented by 14 August 2020 at the latest.

How can I find other scholarship options?

There are also various other scholarship options available from different sources. For example, you can find information on possible scholarship options on ScholarshipPortal.

The University of Helsinki also offers its degree students access to funding databases to facilitate the search for grants and scholarships relevant to their studies or research. It is only possible to apply for these scholarships when you are already an attending degree student at the University of Helsinki.

There are also other scholarship possibilities for all degree students of the University of Helsinki.

Can a PhD candidate apply for a scholarship?

These scholarships are only available for those students who pay tuition fees. As doctoral level education is free of charge for all, doctoral level students cannot apply for the scholarship.

Is there an age limit for the scholarships?

There is no age limit for the scholarships.

Is it possible to lose the scholarship granted to me?

If your liability to pay tuition fees changes, you also lose the right to the scholarship. Other reasons for losing the right to the scholarship include, for example, providing false information in the scholarship application or cheating during your studies.