Open University studies available free of charge to those who are unemployed or temporarily laid off
Continuous learning is the best path to the new normal!
The University of Helsinki wants to support employment during these exceptional times and beyond: starting last autumn, people who are unemployed or temporarily laid off have been able to participate in Open University studies at the University of Helsinki free of charge. This popular practice will now be extended until the end of 2021.
Anyone who is unemployed or temporarily laid off at the time of registration is eligible for the studies free of charge. Before registering for studies, check with the TE Office whether your studies will impact your unemployment benefits.
To participate in the studies free of charge, you must enrol no later than 31 December 2021.
Studies from dozens of degree programmes at the University of Helsinki
The Open University offers studies according to the curricula of the University of Helsinki, from dozens of different degree programmes. Most of these studies can be completed online flexibly no matter where you are.
Instructions for enrolling in Open University studies
- Send an email to email@example.com. Include an up-to-date certificate of your unemployment or temporary laid-off status. This certificate is available from the E-services online portal of TE Services.
- You will receive an email with instructions for enrolling in studies free of charge.
- NB! Please contact us well in advance. The processing time for emails is three business days. The courses will be filled by order of enrolment, and places cannot be reserved over email.
- Study fees that have already been paid will not be refunded.
- Some Open University courses are organised at partner institutions, in which case the normal study fee consists of a fee for the Open University and a fee for the partner institution. In such cases, the Open University fee will not be required from a student who is unemployed or temporarily laid off, but the partner institution may charge its fee according to its normal payment practices.
Browse the course catalogue of the Open University