Application process and important information for applicants
On this page, you can find instructions for the application process and practical information concerning your stay at Helsinki Summer School.
Kindly note that Helsinki Summer School 2021 will not be arranged due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Choose the course you wish to apply for. Make sure you fulfil the criteria of the course.
- Choose your accommodation, if you wish to reserve it already at this point.
- Choose social programme events, if you wish to reserve it already at this point.
- If you need a visa, get a scan of your passport (pdf/jpg).
- Go to the application system to submit your application. The link to the application system is available on each course page during the application period. If your home university has an agreement with the University of Helsinki / Helsinki Summer School or you will receive a scholarship from your home university, please mention this on your application form. Fill in the application form carefully. Write a motivation letter (1000–4000 characters) in which you tell about your academic goals and why you would like to attend Helsinki Summer School and the course you have applied for. Be sure to complete the tasks on the left-side menu. After the tasks are completed, return to the My application and click on Edit application and submit your application.
- Wait for your acceptance e-mail.
- Once you have received an e-mail confirming your acceptance to the course and the instructions for paying, pay the fees within one week (seven days). Pay only the fees you have been instructed to pay. An acceptance and invitation letter for visa matters can be sent only after we have received your course fee.
- If you did not reserve accommodation or the social programme when you applied to the Helsinki Summer School, you can make the reservations later, provided that we still have room. Do not pay the fees before receiving a confirmation of your reservation and the instructions for paying.
- Get prepared for the course. Check out your course area in Moodle. IT usernames will be sent in batches in June and July depending on your application time.
- Prepare for your journey to Helsinki, Finland. We highly recommend having an insurance, as the Helsinki Summer School does not have insurance on your behalf.
- Make sure you have paid everything before coming to Helsinki.
Accessibility and Special Arrangements
If you have any questions concerning accessibility or any special arrangements or if you are visually impaired and need assistance with our application system, please contact the HSS team well in advance before applying at summerschool(at)helsinki.fi. We're happy to help and answer any of your questions.
- Kindly note that the HSS application system can be switched to high contrast mode by clicking on the “High contrast mode” text on the bottom left.
- If you need personal accessibility assistance during Summer School please consult the HSS team at summerschool(at)helsinki.fi already before applying. Your personal assistant can join the HSS course with you for free but kindly note that you will need to take care of any other charges related to your assistant, such as accommodation, yourself.
- Accessibility at the Helsinki University Library facilities
Finland is a party to the Schengen Agreement, which allows people to move freely within the Schengen area (all the Nordic countries and the EU with the exception of Great Britain and, Ireland and Cyprus). Accordingly, anyone entering Finland from within the Schengen area needs only a valid passport or some other official document issued for travelling purposes. Students coming from outside of the Schengen area will need a passport and possibly also a visa.
How can I find out if I need a visa?
Check the list provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland to see if you need a visa in order to enter the Schengen area.
If you need a visa:
Contact the nearest Finnish Embassy for further assistance.
Mark it in your online application and upload a scan of the first page of your passport to your application.
- The Helsinki Summer School team cannot provide you with any assistance in obtaining a passport or visa.
- We cannot guarantee that you will receive a visa – the Finnish authorities make that decision.
- We strongly recommend that you begin the application process for a visa as early as possible, as it may take many weeks. Please note our cancellation policy should your visa application be denied. We also recommend you do not pay the accommodation fee or the social programme fees before you have been granted a visa.
Make sure that your visa allows for a few travel days both before and after the Summer School session.
Helsinki Summer School students benefit from the great services and facilities offered by the University of Helsinki.
Moodle Online Learning Environment
Helsinki Summer School uses Moodle online learning environment for distributing study materials, course programmes and general information. Some of the courses use it also for group work, learning assignments etc. Students will receive their credentials for Moodle before coming to Finland.
Learning Centres and Computer Facilities
Helsinki Summer School students have access to the University’s Learning Centres and receive a IT username that allows unlimited access to the extensive computer facilities, and to use the wireless Internet connection at the University.
Students are issued a certificate of attendance allowing them to get a library card and borrow books from the Helsinki University Library.
Read more about the libraries of the University of Helsinki
Helsinki Summer School students may enjoy lunches at UniCafe student restaurants at any of the campuses.
Read more about the student restaurants
Helsinki Summer School students are entitled to use the gym and participate in the group training sessions offered by the UniSport gyms and sports centres at the University of Helsinki for a student friendly price at any of the campuses.
Read more about UniSport (please choose “In English” from the top of the page).
Diploma and Credits
After the Summer School course session, we will e-mail the official transcript, the course diploma, and the course description to students who have passed their course. A certificate of attendance will be handed to you already during the last day of the Summer School course.
If you need to order extra copies of your transcript check this website for more information.
As Helsinki Summer School gives ECTS credits for its courses, you can easily transfer credits to other European universities using the ECTS system. We do, however, recommend that you check with your home institution before applying to HSS to be sure that the credits are transferable.
More information about the ECTS credits is available on the website of the European Commission.